Do you want to learn about some of the latest scientific breakthroughs and technological developments? Do you have strong problem solving skills and a willingness to learn details about different technologies? Are you a team player with an engineering background and analytical skills? Do you have excellent written and verbal communication skills? If you answered “yes” to all of these questions then a career as a patent professional at Armstrong Teasdale might be perfect for you!
We are looking for top talent to join our patent team as interns, patent engineers, patent agents and patent attorneys. All of these roles play an integral part on our Intellectual Property practice group, and will enable you to work collaboratively with colleagues and our tech clients to assist in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
About Our Intellectual Property Practice Group
Intellectual Property is the fastest growing practice area within Armstrong Teasdale as we continue to expand the law firm’s ability to protect our clients’ copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets and portfolios.
Many of our professionals have advanced degrees in chemical, biotech, electrical and mechanical areas. They guard those innovations by prosecuting patent applications and conducting patentability, non-infringement and validity assessments. Leading companies choose us to develop and manage their patent portfolios, run due diligence studies related to acquisitions and provide infringement investigation services.
What do our IP professionals do?
- Work with inventors
- Identify patentable inventions
- Research currently patented technologies
- Draft patent applications
- Respond to office actions and correspond with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Manage the patent application process from initial application to granted patent
- Solve client challenges and respond to client needs
- Work with foreign associates to prosecute patent applications in other countries
What skills do you need to be a Patent Professional at Armstrong Teasdale?
We are looking for individuals with a technical background in electrical engineering, computer science or computer engineering. Our patent engineers and agents do a lot of research, writing and collaborating with IP attorneys. “Must haves” are good written and oral communication skills. Just as importantly, we want professionals who are creative, thrive on variety of work, enjoy problem-solving and are entrepreneurial.
How do I apply?
We offer internships and full-time opportunities in our St. Louis office.
- Internships: If you are a current student in an undergraduate college program and would like an opportunity to explore the career of a patent engineer and the path toward becoming a patent agent or attorney, our internships allow you to gain real-work experience and exposure to patent law at a law firm. Our internships typically last 8-10 weeks. Please submit your resume, cover letter, writing sample and undergraduate transcript here.
- Patent Engineer Jobs: If you are looking for a full-time job and are interested in a career in patent law, please submit your resume, cover letter, writing sample and undergraduate transcript here.
- Patent Agent Jobs: If you have experience as a patent agent and are interested in continuing your career in patent law, please submit your resume and cover letter here.
- Patent Attorney Jobs: If you would like to apply for an attorney position in our IP group, please see our current openings for attorneys here.