Working with the AT Tech Law practice area can offer you peace of mind. Whether it’s a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription, a new enterprise implementation or an outsourced development, our experience with technology and how it is used in business enables us to see problems that may not be readily apparent. Partnering with you, our seasoned corporate services attorneys can help you clarify your business needs before the contract is final.
The AT Tech Law attorneys know that technology is not a one-size-fits-all business need. Rather, it plays a unique and fluid role in the life of a business – emerging, maturing and established businesses may use the same technology in vastly different ways. Companies often seek new types of technology as their businesses, customers and industries evolve. We have the depth of experience necessary to understand your company’s business and the dynamic between that business and its use of technology. We customize our negotiations to suit clients’ current and future business operations and technology requirements.
BUSINESS IN THE CLOUD
The AT Tech Law practice negotiates a variety of hosted services agreements such as Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). As cloud applications and hosted services become an integral part of enterprisewide systems, we take a holistic approach to cloud transactions for our clients. We have a deep understanding of how technology must function in the cloud environment and the risks of doing business online. We understand how our clients use cloud-based applications and services in their businesses, and negotiate agreements that reflect clients’ expectations with respect to functionality, uptime, security, privacy, confidential business data and integration of cloud-based technology and services with server-based operating systems. The legal documents developed accommodate our clients' business requirements with the necessary legal and regulatory protections.
- Represented a leading technology company focused on cloud-based software for managing institutional effectiveness in higher education.
- Represented a wearable gaming and payment platform provider.
- Managed SaaS Agreement covering software license, implementation and customizations of an employee enrollment and communication service for a global provider of die-casting products.
- Assisted numerous companies with software subscription service agreements for a range of software applications accessed via the Internet or other private networks.
- Handled comprehensive agreements for clients who outsourced managed hosting for critical operational data centers.
Complex enterprise technology transactions require a host of agreements. Our attorneys manage every aspect of our clients’ needs – before, during and after implementation – including software licenses, hardware and equipment purchases, and leases, hosted applications and supervision of technology audits. We negotiate favorable terms from major technology vendors such as Oracle, SAP, ADP, Microsoft, IBM, Cisco, AT&T, Dell and SunGard as well as smaller vendors, technology partners and service providers. Our technology attorneys listen to our clients and understand their technology needs before negotiations begin. We focus on deal terms that reflect the technology functionality, performance, availability and responsiveness our clients expect from vendors, and we negotiate necessary user rights, maintenance, warranty and other legal and business protections. Throughout each negotiation, we sustain a positive and productive business relationship between providers and purchasers, allowing growth potential for all parties.
- Negotiated agreements for a three-phase global financial and manufacturing operating system replacement, including enterprise licenses with customized software, consulting services and hosted services for a Fortune 500 manufacturer and designer of engineered components.
- Created and negotiated a Fortune 500 technology company’s Master Agreement for enterprisewide software, support and hosted services. The international system covered automation and workflow systems, managed IT services and online gateway for payment processing, funding, treasury management and receivables among corporations, banks and trading partners.
- Negotiated multiple transactions for a predictive analytics company focused on enhancing its clients’ existing customer relationship management (CRM) and marketing data to drive sales conversions.
- Supported vast network of global beverage wholesale distributorships with template license and maintenance agreements for access to software as a platform.
OUTSOURCING, DEVELOPMENT, CONSULTING AND SUPPORT
We understand the business operations of both service providers and purchasers, and the how and why of the technology involved – whether it’s bought or sold. Representing a broad base of clients, we see both sides of the deal…from the protocols, products and services that the vendor is selling to the business needs of the buyer.
In representing technology procurers, we strive to ensure clients are entitled to all of the services needed for their specific implementation and operation, and that maximum performance levels are required. We protect businesses from downtime and loss of revenues by focusing on inclusion of industry-leading warranties and guarantees.
- Counseled specialized management consulting firm serving as an Oracle business partner in value chain planning and execution.
- Represented an IT consulting firm (multiyear Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies recipient) in all aspects of the company’s outsourced managed services, custom development service and consulting services.
- Assisted leading global rent-a-car company in the review of telecommunications and IT outsourcing agreements to support companywide call center operations.
PRIVACY AND DATA SECURITY
Armstrong Teasdale has a team of cross-disciplinary lawyers experienced with matters involving both U.S. and international privacy and data security laws. Our team includes two Certified Ethical Hackers (C|EH) and three Certified Information Privacy Professionals (CIPP/US and CIPP/E).
We customize technology transactions to accommodate our clients’ unique business and regulatory requirements. Representative industries include:
- Commercial Real Estate
- Financial Services and Banking
- Health Care
- Information Technology
- Supply Chain Management