Arthur Boff is a Chartered Patent Attorney and a European Patent Attorney with a technical background in chemistry (including electrochemistry and analytical chemistry). In his professional career as an attorney, he has gained experience beyond materials science and chemistry to advise on fields such as power generation, haptic feedback and traditionally difficult-to-patent areas such as computer-related inventions and presentation of information.
Since 2015, he has taken an interest in cultivating the next generation of intellectual property professionals. These activities have included lectures on patent law at Brunel University London, offering students on the Managing IP course a professional’s perspective on the subject, as well as acting as an examiner for the U.K. patent attorney qualification exam administered by the Patent Examination Board. He has also developed his advocacy and litigation skills, and is amongst the first attorneys to take and pass the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys’ Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate course.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Arthur served as an associate at a boutique patent and trade mark firm in London.
Arthur earned his doctorate in Physical and Theoretical Chemistry in Oxford University’s Chemistry Research Lab, during which time he gained firsthand experience of several fields, including chemical vapor deposition processes, semiconducting boron-doped diamond surfaces, electrochemical and spectroelectrochemical analytical methods, methods for the study of solid surfaces, the use of enzymes as potential components in hydrogen fuel cells, detection of drug contaminants and heavy metal pollutants, and selective detection of DNA sequences.
- University of Oxford (DPhil, 2008)
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- University of Oxford (MChem, 2004)
- U.K. Register of Patent Attorneys, 2013
- European Patent Office Register of Professional Representatives, 2014
- United Kingdom
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (Fellow)
- European Patent Institute (Member)
- Patent Examination Board (Marking Examiner)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (Member)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorney’s Pro Bono “Patent Clinics” Scheme (Participant)
- Brunel University London (Volunteer lecturer, Managing IP course)