Ashley Wright has very extensive experience across all legal aspects of the energy sector. For more than 13 years, he has held partnership and leadership positions in international firms, helping some of the largest international energy companies.
He has done deals for clients from around the world and across a very significant number of jurisdictions, acting for leading national and international corporates, banks, NOCs, independent energy companies and oil majors. An excellent negotiator, he always strives to secure the best, most sustainable deals for his clients.
Although he focuses on corporate law and complex M&A transactions, Ashley understands the entire spectrum of the energy sector, and so he has advised on projects, joint ventures, disputes, debt financings, bond financings, arbitrations, restructurings and regulatory issues in the sector. He has extensive experience in the energy market in Asia and has worked with international clients on multiple cross-border projects and disputes.
Given his prior experience in-house with a British multinational oil and gas company, Ashley is commercially savvy and understands the drivers of corporate success and the leverage which legal analysis and risk mitigation can provide to build and sustain successful business.
A quick learner, dynamic and very adaptable, according to Chambers Asia Pacific, Ashley is considered “a key industry name” by peers in the oil and gas sector, and “clients enthuse that “he has got a very deep understanding of [his] markets.” He has earned a number of recognitions and accolades specific to his work in the oil and gas and energy sectors.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Ashley served as equity partner at multiple international business law firms headquartered in London. He also practiced as a senior associate at a “white shoe” law firm headquartered in New York City.
Before his move to private practice, Ashley worked for eight years for a British multinational oil and gas company, latterly as a senior legal adviser in a variety of locations and roles, ranging from Aberdeen to Jakarta, Singapore to London.
Ashley earned an International Diploma in Governance, Risk and Compliance in 2019 from the International Compliance Association (in association with the University of Manchester).
- University of Aberdeen (DIPLP, 2018)
- University of Glasgow (D.L.P., 1988)
- University of Aberdeen (LL.B., honours)
- England and Wales
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) (Committee Member, SE Asian Chapter)
- International Compliance Association
- Law Society of Scotland (Inactive)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- University of Aberdeen (Part-time lecturer and tutor, U.K. Energy Law)
- U.K.’s National Health Service (Responder)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, Projects and Energy (Singapore) (2019)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, ‘Leading Individual’ for Projects and Energy: Foreign Firms (2019)
- Which Lawyer, ‘Highly Recommended Individual’ for Energy transactions (2020)
- Who’s Who Legal Oil & Gas (2020)
- Who’s Who Energy (2019)