Carla Baumel is an attorney in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group, focusing on patent litigation and counseling.
Carla has represented clients large and small in multiple technical fields, including the mechanical arts and life sciences industries. She has experience representing clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, as well as state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Her extensive experience includes drafting pleadings and motions, including patent infringement complaints, motions in limine, motions to quash, and motions for judgment as a matter of law; drafting and responding to discovery requests; briefing and arguing appeals; and coordinating pre-suit investigations for clients with national and global patent portfolios. Carla has also counseled clients regarding their global enforcement strategies.
Carla has past experience in private practice at a large Chicago-based law firm, and before that, she served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable J.P. Stadtmueller in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. She is actively involved in pro bono community service work.
*Licensed as shown under "Admissions;" not licensed in Colorado.
Prior to joining the firm, Carla was an IP litigation associate at a U.S.-based law firm with international offices.
Before that, she served as a judicial clerk to the Hon. J.P. Stadtmueller in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. While there, she independently managed more than 75 civil and criminal cases from filing to final disposition. Carla also completed the ABA Steiger Antitrust Fellowship, working for the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Order of the Coif
- Minnesota Law Review, Lead Symposium Editor (Vol. 99), Staff (Vol. 98)
- University of Minnesota Student IP Law Association, President
- Legal Writing Instructor
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.S., 2010)
- Biology, Spanish
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s List
- The Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholar
- Transatlantic Science Student Exchange Program, Madrid, Spain (2008-2009)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (2018-2019)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (2017-2018)
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Organization (2014-2015)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association Scholarship Award (2015)
- Dean’s Distinguished Scholarship, University of Minnesota Law School (2012-2015)