Chuck Steese has successfully tried more than 50 complex commercial, telecommunications and intellectual property disputes in courts and before regulatory bodies across the United States.
His cases often involve parallel, multi-district litigation and regulatory or other proceedings. When these matters are appropriately managed, they present opportunities to creatively leverage issues and facts to achieve the best possible results for clients. Strategy, relentless preparation and skilled advocacy are Chuck’s hallmarks. As one client recently remarked, “Chuck brings a level of skill and professionalism rarely seen in the legal profession. He obtained a result that, at the beginning of the case, I thought impossible to obtain.”
Clients routinely praise Chuck for his ability to simplify complex cases into manageable issues that judges and juries can comprehend. His engineering background enhances his ability to handle complicated, technology based cases efficiently and effectively.
These skills lead clients of all sizes and types to retain Chuck to manage their most challenging litigation matters. While Chuck has tried cases in many different industries, he has obtained unique experience in the areas of telecommunications, technology, and higher education. He also has significant experience handling major class actions and arbitrations.
For example, Chuck’s work has influenced the way government regulates telecommunications companies specifically in the area of “traffic pumping” (also known as access stimulation). At the forefront of this issue, Chuck tried the first such lawsuit and has gone on to handle numerous cases throughout the country. The decisions Chuck obtained had a direct impact on the FCC finding that this practice cost the industry billions of dollars, and as a result, modified its existing rules.
In addition, for more than five years Chuck served as managing attorney of the firm’s Denver office.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1989)
- Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law, Editor
- Georgia Tech (B.A., with honors, 1985)
- Aerospace Engineering
- Sigma Gamma Tau
- Armstrong Teasdale Compensation Committee
- Colorado Super Lawyers® (2017-present)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in Business for Commercial Litigation (2016-present)
- Selected as a 2015 Top Rated IP Lawyer by American Lawyer Media (ALM)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Received the John P. Frank Pro Bono Award for his work retrying a murder case on remand from the United States Supreme Court
Before joining Armstrong Teasdale, Chuck founded what became Denver-based Steese, Evans & Frankel P.C. He previously worked in-house trying cases for a Fortune 500 telecommunications company in Denver.