Courtney Chen is an associate in Armstrong Teasdale’s Litigation practice group, where she handles an array of disputes for clients in numerous industries.
With prior experience as a summer associate at the firm and a legal extern at a major national corporation, she is adept at discovery, trial preparation and all aspects of case management. For discovery, she has managed numerous document productions involving voluminous documents. She is skilled at formulating strategy for introducing and combating prospective evidence to be introduced in trial, preparing witness examination questions taking and defending depositions, and drafting various legal documents, including pleadings, summary judgments and other motions.
Since she joined the firm, Courtney has had extensive experience with construction matters in both the transactional and litigation arenas. She has reviewed, drafted, and negotiated contracts ranging from large and highly complex commercial construction projects to large scale residential construction projects. She has represented owners, contractors, manufacturers and lenders in various types of disputes handling issues that commonly arise during builder and owner disputes, issues surrounding indemnification, mechanics liens and insurance coverage questions, bonds and surety matters.
Courtney also has experience in life, health and disability insurance litigation matters.
Prior to law school, Courtney developed extensive public speaking skills, having spoken at over 1,500 events, as part of her role in sales with a large national corporation. During the school year, Courtney also teaches at Saint Louis University School of Law as a trial team coach.
Courtney was a summer associate at Armstrong Teasdale before joining the firm full time. Before that, she was a legal extern at a major national corporation within the prison goods and services sector. At Armstrong Teasdale, Courtney is part of the general litigation group and practices construction law, real estate law, insurance coverage law, and products liability actions.
Prior to law school, Courtney was the top closer in her sales position at a large national corporation.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., with honors)
- Dean’s List
- Saint Louis University Trial Team
- University of Missouri (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Missouri Asian American Bar Association (Vice President 2023-24; Secretary, 2021-2023)
- The Missouri Bar, Young Lawyers Section (Council Member for St. Louis County, 2021-present).
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (“BAMSL”), Young Lawyers Division (Executive Board Member, serving as the ABA Delegate, 2023-present)
- Asian American Chamber of Commerce, St. Louis Chapter (Board Member, 2023-present)
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Committees
- High School Mock Trial Competition Steering Committee (2021-present)
- Nominating Committee (2022-2023)
- Mentor in The Missouri Bar Law Student Mentorship Program, Special Committee on Lawyers of Color in the Legal Profession (2022-2023)
- American Bar Association’s Strategic Planning Committee, in partnership with BAMSL (2023 – present)
- Saint Louis University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Head Trial Team Coach (2022-present)
- Council member, SLU Law Community Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2023-present)
- St. Louis County Circuit Court, Young Lawyers Academy (2022-2023)
- Pupilage member of Theodore McMillian American Inns of Court
- American Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Ronald McDonald House
- St. Patrick’s Center
- Selected as a pupilage member of the Theodore McMillian American Inns of Court (2019 – 2020)
- Mandarin Chinese