David Kim has extensive transactional experience representing clients throughout the U.S. and internationally. David counsels business organizations on mergers and acquisitions, strategic business transactions, restructuring, spinoffs, recapitalization and leveraged buyouts.
A former business owner and entrepreneur, David’s experience also enables him to better serve emerging companies and startups. He works closely with owners and investors on financing transactions, private equity and venture capital investments, and understands the benefits and risks of being a key stakeholder. In addition, he advises on corporate formation and governance, board governance, ownership affairs, risk management and tax law.
David also works with publicly traded companies on securities matters and provides counsel on reporting and compliance, as well as privately held companies regarding private placements.
In the immigration area of his practice, David counsels clients on a wide range of employment-based immigrant and non-immigrant visa matters, including students, trainees, professionals, managers and executives, treaty investors and traders, and immigrant investors. He also advises clients on the challenges and opportunities presented by the EB-5 program, including managing the immigration, tax, real estate and securities issues that are an integral part to creating and maintaining successful regional centers and projects.
More recently, David has been counseling clients on managing the emerging regulatory issues presented by the development of digital currencies and the application of blockchain technology. He also advises blockchain startup companies regarding initial coin offerings and intellectual property protection.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Harvard University (M.A., 1995)
- East Asian Studies
- Cornell University (B.A., 1992)
- Asian American Bar Association of Kansas City (Founding member)
- Cornell Club of Mid-America (Past board member)
- Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network
- Harvard Radcliffe Club of Kansas City
- Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce / Centurions Leadership Program
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- ALS Association, Mid-America Chapter
- Alzheimer’s Association, Heart of America Chapter
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2014-present); Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2010-2013)
David started his legal career at two other AmLaw 200 law firms in the Kansas City area. At his previous firm, David was a partner for over eight years.