With nearly 20 years of experience, David Magee represents technology and other industry clients in patent litigation and licensing, as well as counseling on intellectual property matters and commercial disputes. He has successfully litigated patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and other intellectual property and commercial cases before the International Trade Commission (ITC), Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and U.S. District Courts, as well as numerous mediation and arbitration panels. His background as an engineer at a top engineering firm lends to his ability to quickly distill complex technical information, and drives his successful representation of clients in complex, multimillion-dollar disputes.
Licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, his counsel is instrumental at all phases of IP planning, from procurement and monetization to enforcement and defense. David works with business clients in evaluating IP scope, quality and total addressable market (TAM) for IP acquisitions and negotiates and prepares commercial agreements including licenses, confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements, development and distribution agreements, releases, product sale, software and service agreements.
His strategic counsel regarding critical technologies and assets extends to a number of complementary practice areas including those related to information control, cloud migration, privacy and data security, and related regulations and compliance including International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
In addition to his intellectual property practice, David has guided clients through matters involving accidents, major losses, False Claims Act and other government investigations (Department of Justice, U.S. Coast Guard, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Minerals Management Service (MMS)), and claims in the energy, manufacturing and construction industries.
Services and Industries
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, David was in private practice at another Boston-area law firm. He has experience at both small firms and Am Law 25 international firms, and prior to becoming a lawyer, he worked as an engineer for a top 25 global engineering and construction firm, as ranked by the Engineering News-Record.
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Northeastern University College of Engineering (B.S., 1997)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association (Member; Young Lawyers Division Antitrust Committee Chair, 2008-2009)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Society of Civil Engineers
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Father Bill's & MainSpring, Volunteer (2016-present)
- Middlesex County District Attorney, Pro Bono Attorney (2014-present)
- Cardinal Cushing Centers, Inc., Human Rights Committee (Member, 2017-2019)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2005-2006, 2010-2011)
- Who’s Who in American Law (2008)
- Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders (2007)