Doug Marsh is a partner in the Litigation practice group, focusing on complex commercial litigation and appeals. As a Special Assistant State’s Attorney in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office and through federal and state judicial clerkships, Doug gained significant knowledge about trial preparation and procedure, case administration and legal research.
His experience includes presenting oral arguments in trial and appellate courts; conducting pleadings before the court; drafting, filing and arguing briefs and motions; drafting judicial memoranda, orders, opinions, complaints and responses; conducting depositions and preparing related documents; drafting written discovery requests and responses; performing discovery working closely with the client and opposing parties; and examining and cross-examining witnesses.
Doug has litigated cases across the country at both the trial and appellate levels, including in a recent client victory on a matter involving the long-distance telephone scam known as “traffic pumping” (also called “access stimulation”). In that matter, his team secured a judgment following a bench trial and recovered in excess of $1 million in damages for his client. Doug also helped draft the appellate briefs defending that judgment on appeal.
In bankruptcy court matters, Doug’s experience includes avoiding fraudulent transfers and litigating adversary proceedings. This unique intersection of the law enables Doug to provide significant value to his litigation clients, seeing the matter from all angles.
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2012)
- Hinton Moot Court Competition
- Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition
- Federalist Society
- Dallin H. Oaks Society
- Student Admissions Council
- Corporate Lab Clinic and Prosecution and Defense Clinic
- Brigham Young University (B.A., magna cum laude, 2009)
- Classical Studies and History
- Eta Sigma Phi (Classical Studies Honor Society)
- Heritage Academic Scholarship Recipient
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Colorado, 2013
- Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation (2021-present)
- The Burton Awards, Law360 Distinguished Legal Writing Award (2020)
- Colorado Super Lawyers® Rising Stars (2019-present)
- Law Week Colorado, Up & Coming Lawyer (2017)
Prior to joining the firm, Doug clerked for the Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma. Prior to that, he clerked for a Justice of the Supreme Court of Colorado and served as a Special Assistant State’s Attorney in Cook County, Illinois.