Francisco Villegas is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group.
Representing domestic and international companies, Francisco advises on IP litigation and transactional matters involving a wide range of subjects. He has extensive experience in matters related to media streaming, aerospace, artificial intelligence, online gaming, heavy machinery, medical devices, telecom, social media, pharmaceuticals and the Internet of Things.
His patent experience includes litigation assertion and defense, portfolio development, asset valuation, licensing, opinions (validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate clearances) and post grant proceedings including inter partes review, reissues and ex parte reexaminations. In addition to his patent work, Francisco regularly represents clients in domestic and international trademark matters.
On the transactional side, Francisco advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, deal sourcing, joint ventures, product development, SaaS, IP monetization, privacy and venture capital.
Francisco’s practice also includes early stage companies. He represents startups, incubators, innovation labs and investors that seek to exploit new technologies or apply mature products and services in new ways.
Additionally, Fortune 50 companies have frequently requested that Francisco present on topics at the intersection of law and science, such as emerging technologies, ethics and artificial intelligence and general trends in IP law.
Before joining Armstrong Teasdale, Francisco practiced at two large New York-based IP boutiques, and then at a litigation-focused law firm.
Prior to practicing law, Francisco worked as a mechanical engineer for two of the largest and most innovative consumer brands in the U.S.
- Cornell Law School (J.D., 1999)
- Stanford University (M.S., 1996)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Stanford University (B.S.B.A., 1994)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property, U.S. National Group
- International Trademark Association
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers in Business for Intellectual Property: Patent (2014-2015)
- Intellectual Asset Management’s “Patent 1000” (2015-present)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers®, Intellectual Property: Litigation (2014-present)