With more than 30 years of legal experience and 15 years of environmental risk transfer consulting, George von Stamwitz has seen environmental risk in every conceivable business and regulatory context. As leader of the firm’s Environmental practice area, he manages environmental litigation, compliance counseling and transactional matters.
George has designed and implemented over 50 environmental risk transfer transactions and provided tactical advice on numerous portfolios of impaired properties. Additionally, he is skilled in the development of alternative risk transfer mechanisms and utilizing the nontraditional insurance marketplace that can offer an economical substitute to traditional solutions.
In the Superfund area, George develops strategies and implements negotiations, rulemaking, legislation and relationships with neighbors and municipalities. He creates trust documents and efficient management systems, and is involved in all political, regulatory, legal and technical issues.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1982)
- Tufts University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1979)
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar Association
- St. Louis Regional Commerce and Growth Association (Vice Chairman, Environmental Committee, 1992-1993; Chairman, 1993-1994)
- Lex Mundi College of Mediators
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers in Business for Environmental Law, Band 1 (multiple years)
- Who’s Who in Energy, American City Business Journals (2015)
- Received Legal Champions of the Year award from Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Lawyer of the Year, Environmental (2011)
- The Best Lawyers in America®;Environmental Law and Water Law (20+ consecutive years, including the most recent edition)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2008-present); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-2014)
- Profiled in St. Louis Business Journal’s “Forty Great Ones” article (March 1996) recognizing 40 business leaders under the age of 40
- ABC National Public Service Award, American Bar Association (1995)
- Pro Bono Publico Award from The Missouri Bar (1994)
- Equal Justice Award, Legal Service of Eastern Missouri (1993)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
George is a former law clerk to Chief Judge James L. Foreman, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois.