Jerry King practices in all aspects of explosion, fire and electrocution litigation, including products liability, class actions, trials and appeals. As a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI), as certified by the National Certification Board of the National Association of Fire Investigators and recognized by National Fire Protection Association 921 Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations, Jerry’s knowledge and experience allow him to provide effective and efficient solutions to resolve even the most complex case. An authority on these issues, he is often sought after as a speaker, trainer and consulting advisor.
Jerry has seen numerous jury trials to verdict and personally handled numerous appeals. Representing utility companies, businesses and product manufacturers, he provides advice on matters arising out of gas, petroleum, chemical and electrical fires and explosions. He also consults preventatively to help organizations guard against problems and proactively lines up experts by region and coordinates response teams, fire investigators, engineers and company officials.
Jerry is a member of the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 921 Technical Committee. NFPA’s 921 document is the Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations, meaning it is the key standard by which investigators’ methodologies are judged within the industry worldwide and in a court of law. NFPA 921 has been translated into Korean, Chinese, French, Hebrew and Spanish. Jerry is also a member of NFPA 1033, the Standard for the Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigators.
In a recent trial, Jerry served as lead attorney in a case seeking damages for a wrongful death arising out of a fire and explosion at a gasoline bulk storage facility. The plaintiffs sought $18 million plus punitive damages and the jury returned a defense verdict. In another recent trial, the jury returned a defense verdict in a case seeking $2.3 million in damages. Plaintiffs claimed that the fire was caused by a defectively soldered forklift-battery connection.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (J.D., 1990)
- Rockhurst College (B.S.B.A., cum laude, 1987)
- Kansas, 1991
- Missouri, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- NFPA 921 Technical Committee Member
- NFPA 1033 Technical Committee Member
- National Association of Fire Investigators
- International Association of Fire Investigators
- National Fire Academy Alumni Association
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Defense Research Institute
- The Missouri Bar
- Johnson County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Insurance Law (2007-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2008-present); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-present)
- National Seminar on Fire Analysis Litigation, National Association of Fire Investigators (2003-2011)
- Won Second Largest Defense Verdict in Missouri in 2007, Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- "Interviewing-Interrogation Techniques and Courtroom Testimony," 80-hour course, National Fire Academy (2005)
- National Fire, Arson & Explosion Investigation Training Program, National Association of Fire Investigators (2004)
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (2004-present)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell