Jake Kohut is a member of the firm’s award-winning Mass Tort and Catastrophic Loss practice area. He primarily defends clients in litigation alleging personal injury as a result of medical malpractice, product liability and premises liability. Jake defends claims in state and federal court, and he is experienced in all stages of civil litigation.
Outside the courtroom, Jake counsels clients through investigation, risk assessment, claim valuation and discovery practices. He provides advice on methods to avoid litigation and mitigate liability, and he has resolved claims through mediation and settlement negotiations. Jake also advises clients on complex commercial disputes, fiduciary litigation, data breaches and privacy, and gender-conforming documentation.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- Missouri Law Review (Associate Editor)
- Missouri Environmental Law & Policy Review (Associate Editor)
- Board of Advocates (Mock Trial Director)
- University of Missouri (B.A., 2009)
- Political Science and Spanish
- Honors Graduate
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- St. Louis Municipal Opera (Young Friends Member)
- Eagle Scout
- Motion for Kids (Volunteer)
- Old Newsboys Day (Volunteer)
- Earned first place in ABA Regional Mock Arbitration Competition (2011)
- Earned second place in ABA National Mock Arbitration Competition (2012)
- Order of the Barristers (2012)
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Jake was in private practice at another St. Louis-area law firm. He also has extensive experience in criminal law as a former assistant prosecuting attorney for the Greene County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in Springfield, Missouri, where he served as the domestic violence liaison and managed a docket of over 400 cases.
In law school, Jake clerked for the Hon. Edward M. Sweeney and prosecuted cases pursuant to Rule 13 on behalf of the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in Hillsboro, Missouri.