Jim Boff is a partner in the firm’s U.K. Intellectual Property practice. He focuses primarily on patent prosecution, opposition and portfolio management, and is also experienced in trade mark and licensing matters.
While Jim’s technical background is in chemistry and materials science, his workload is of wider scope. He handles a wide array of technologies including ceramics, glasses, polymers, composite materials, alloys, amorphous metals, electroceramics, magnetic materials, photovoltaic devices, energy storage devices, carbon, diamond, graphite, nanomaterials, chemical engineering processes, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, synthetic organisms, and medical devices such as implantable MEMS devices, adaptive prostheses, sutures and surgical tools. Jim has been an inventor in fields ranging from lithium ion battery electrodes, inorganic fiber compositions, fuel cell components, graphite technology and collectors for current transfer to electrical vehicles.
As a former examiner for the European qualifying examinations for patent attorneys, and as a long-standing member of the Standing Advisory Committee before the European Patent Office (SACEPO), Jim is well versed in all aspects of European Patent Office law and practice.
Jim is a contributor to CIPA Journal and other professional publications, and has been invited to speak to various bodies including, among others, the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and the All China Patent Attorneys Association (ACPAA).
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Jim was a managing partner at a London-based boutique patent and trade mark firm.
- University of Oxford (M.A., 1976)
- Imperial College London
- Postgraduate studies in materials science
- Queen Mary University of London
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law
- U.K. Register of Patent Attorneys, 1984
- U.K. Register of Trade Mark Attorneys, 2011
- European Patent Office Register of Professional Representatives, 1985
- United Kingdom
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (IP Practice in Europe Committee, Strategic Advisor)
- European Patent Institute (Council member; EPO Finance Committee, Chair; EPPC Chemistry Sub-committee, Chair)
- European Patent Office (Standing Advisory Committee Member)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) (Member)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (Member; Patents Committee, Former Chair)
- U.K. trademark examinations and European patent attorney examinations (Former examiner)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Pinner Association (Member and volunteer)
- Chartered Chemist and Chartered Scientist, Royal Society of Chemistry