An accomplished litigator, John Cowling counsels organizations through a range of strategic business decisions. He practices primarily in the areas of general litigation, products liability, environmental litigation and information technology law.
For companies of all sizes, John handles matters concerning software contract issues, breach of contract, property disputes, products liability, OSHA penalty actions and commercial tort claims.
For more than five years, John worked on the welding fumes products liability litigation and did extensive work for a welding products manufacturer as national products liability counsel.
In the environmental area, John litigates claims related to federal and state environmental statutes such as CERCLA, RCRA and the Clean Air Act. He defends civil enforcements and penalty actions and deals with insurance coverage issues.
John advises clients on information technology issues including retention policies, contracts, privacy, and the management of electronically stored information (ESI). John is a frequent speaker on E-discovery issues.
Additionally, John is the president of Lawgical Choice, a company that provides legal technology services to law firms and legal departments. He has employed computers and litigation technology in his practice for many years.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- University of Vermont (B.S., 1977)
- Missouri, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. District Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri- Appellate
- The Missouri Bar
- St. Louis Lawyers Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Lawgical Choice, a legal technology services company (President)
- Independence Center (Board Member and Executive Committee Member)
- Martindale-Hubbell and American Lawyer Media (ALM) Top Rated Lawyer, Commercial Litigation (2012)
- AV® Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, Top Rated Lawyers®, Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources Law (2012-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Information Technology Law, Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law (2010-present); Lawyer of the Year, Information Technology Law (2023)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2005, 2011, 2013-present)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, John was employed by the Missouri Public Counsel’s Office, a state agency charged with representing utility ratepayers before the Missouri Public Service Commission. He also worked as a law clerk for Judge William L. Hungate of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.