Senior counsel in the Litigation practice group of Armstrong Teasdale’s Kansas City office, John McClelland has more than 30 years of experience in major, complex litigation. He concentrates in the areas of agribusiness, energy, environmental claims, directors’ fiduciary duties, bankruptcy litigation and government contract and compliance matters.
John has tried numerous jury and bench trials in federal and state courts, and successfully argued cases at the appellate level.
A highly successful plaintiffs’ lawyer, John has won multimillion-dollar judgments and settlements in personal injury and wrongful death cases, and on behalf of food companies, farm and ranch operations, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, banks and bank holding companies. The latter cases involved claims for legal and accounting malpractice or breach of duty.
John has significant experience representing debtors, creditors, indenture trustees, critical vendors and prospective acquirers in bankruptcy cases. He has tried fraudulent conveyance cases, contested plan confirmations and contested asset sales under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
With extensive experience in the production of electronically stored information, John provides counsel regarding the negotiation of ESI discovery protocols. He guides in the collection and review of large volumes of information using outsourced document review teams and computer-assisted coding.
He has served as an adjunct professor of trial advocacy at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, and speaker at the Center for Excellence in Advocacy.
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 1982)
- Kansas Law Review (Member)
- University of Kansas (B.S., 1979)
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri - Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Association for Justice
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2014-2015); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2014)
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law