Kathryn Bascom is a member of the firm’s Litigation practice group where she focuses on many areas of civil litigation, including fire, explosion and electrical liability, employment, insurance coverage and defense, business litigation, and product liability.
Kathryn is versed in all phases of trial preparation, including written discovery, depositions, expert witness preparation, case strategy, pretrial briefing and dispositive motion practice.
Fire, Explosion and Electrical Liability
Kathryn defends electric and gas utility companies in cases involving fires and catastrophic injuries related to line contact/exposure.
Kathryn works closely with employers in internal investigations and regularly defends cases arising under state and federal employment laws such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Missouri Human Rights Act. Additionally, Kathryn advises clients on best practice for preventing employment disputes.
Insurance Coverage and Defense
As a member of the Insurance Coverage and Litigation practice area, Kathryn often assists in drafting coverage opinions and reservations of rights letters on behalf of clients. She also aids in the defense of clients in bad faith actions and advises clients on avoiding bad faith setups.
Kathryn helps clients in litigation involving contract and business tort claims such as breach of contract, fraudulent misrepresentation and agent/principal liability.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2012)
- UMKC Law Review (Editorial Board Member - Lead Literary Editor)
- Association of Women Law Students
- Villanova University (B.S., 2009)
- Comprehensive Science
- (Minors in Cognitive Science and Computer Science)(Honors Program)
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy)
- Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City (Connections Program - Mentee)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Kansas City - St. Joseph (Junior Board Volunteer)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumnae Association of Kansas City (Volunteer)
- Notre Dame de Sion Alumnae Association (Volunteer)
Prior to joining the firm, Kathryn was an associate at a Kansas City civil litigation firm where her practice focused on professional liability defense. Prior to that, she clerked for Judge Charles H. McKenzie of the Circuit Court of Jackson County, Missouri. During law school, Kathryn interned with U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert E. Larsen of the Western District of Missouri and with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri.