Michael Burwick has nearly 30 years of experience as a tax, corporate and securities lawyer, focusing on tax deferral, mitigation and minimization.
Michael has developed and successfully implemented numerous tax strategies taken directly from heretofore sparsely used sections the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). In employing these strategies, Michael has helped businesses of all sizes, ranging from several million dollars to several hundred million dollars in annual revenue, as well as high-net-worth individuals, families and trusts, navigate the timing and payment of both capital gains and ordinary income taxes. He consistently saves his clients a great deal of money and helps them put capital that would have otherwise been paid in the form of taxes at the time of sale to work for them.
Michael serves clients across many different industry sectors. In the sports, media and entertainment area, he collaborates with professional sports agents and advisors in working with athletes on tax minimization and deferral, often with respect to their outside businesses and investments that were acquired from their career earnings and endorsement income.
With a plethora of clients from the agricultural sector, Michael focuses on harnessing the power of specific provisions in the IRC that provide tremendous, but rarely used, tax benefits. These agricultural subcategories include timber, livestock, fisheries, nurseries and many other businesses that fall within the broad IRC definition of agriculture.
A frequent author and speaker, Michael covers the topics of tax law, sports law and other legal and business issues. As the father of three children, one severely disabled, Michael is an active philanthropist and children’s advocate. He serves on boards of directors and in other philanthropic capacities of organizations devoted to childhood welfare, combatting diseases afflicting children and other causes relating to children’s health and well-being.
*Licensed as shown under Admissions. Not currently licensed in Massachusetts or New York.
Services and Industries
- Capital Markets
- Emerging Companies
- Governance and Compliance
- Government Relations and Public Policy
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Outside Corporate Counsel
- Securities Regulation and Litigation
- Agribusiness and Food
- Financial Services and Banking
- Real Estate, Development, Construction
- Sports, Media and Entertainment
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Michael was a partner in the corporate practice of an Am Law 200 firm, working from both Miami and Washington, D.C. Before that, he served as general counsel to an SEC-registered investment advisory and fiduciary wealth management firm.
Additionally, he has more than a decade of experience working in Big Law in the Boston and Washington, D.C., metro areas. Michael also has past experience as general counsel and chief compliance officer for a financial management firm.
His experience also extends to government, having served as legal counsel for the U.S. House of Representatives, and as Assistant Attorney General in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with honors, 2012)
- President of the Tax Council
- The Tax Lawyer, American Bar Association (Advisor and Mentor)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with honors, 2011)
- Securities Law and Financial Regulation
- Georgetown Securities and Financial Law Forum
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
- Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics (Editorial Board, 1993-1995)
- Home Court (Executive Board, 1992-1995)
- Dean’s List Honors
- Boston University (B.A., magna cum laude with distinction, 1991)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Dean’s List Honors
- District of Columbia
- Massachusetts (Candidate for Admission on Motion)
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- National Basketball Players Association (Certified Player Agent)
- The Sports Lawyers Association
- Alternative & Direct Investment Securities Association
- National Society of Compliance Professionals
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association
- New England Business Brokers Association
- Georgetown Law Advisory Board
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Autism Speaks, New England (Board of Directors)
- The New England Center for Children (Donor, Fundraiser)
- Top 50 Attorneys of Miami, Attorney Intel (2022)
- America’s Top Lawyers, American Law Society (2019-2020)
- Marquis Who’s Who in American Law (2019-2020)
- The Top 100 List of American Attorneys, The Top 100 Magazine (2019-2020)