Michael Freimann is deputy leader of the firm’s Employment and Labor practice and has more than 20 years of law experience. When advising clients, he draws on his distinctive background, which includes a decade of in-house experience, an extensive trial and litigation record, expertise as a traditional labor law attorney and numerous years as a military attorney.
As a former assistant general counsel for a Fortune 200 company with more than 70,000 employees and multiple subsidiaries, Michael understands and appreciates both the legal and business needs of his clients. He advises his clients on a full spectrum of employment and commercial disputes. Michael draws on his in-house experience to strategize with his clients and create favorable solutions and outcomes. However, if litigation becomes necessary, few attorneys can match his courtroom experience and success.
Michael draws on his in-house counsel experience to advise clients on the full spectrum of employment issues, from negotiating executive employment agreements to compensation, disciplinary actions, including termination, and enforcement of noncompete agreements. Experienced in handling contentious matters of all types, Michael has litigated and defended clients against allegations of discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliation, wage violations and a myriad of other employment-related disputes.
When favorable outcomes cannot be achieved through other means, Michael has a long track record of successfully resolving contentious matters for clients both at trial and through alternative dispute resolution. In addition to litigating a broad range of employment-related matters, Michael has represented clients in multi-weeklong trials and arbitrations involving claims such as breach of contract, fraud, unjust enrichment and breach of other fiduciary duties, as well as numerous other torts and causes of action.
Additionally, Michael has vast experience with traditional labor law. This entails union organizings, National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) advice and litigation, unfair labor practice charges, management and supervisory training, collective bargaining negotiations, grievance administration and numerous labor arbitrations.
Currently, Michael is the state staff judge advocate for the Colorado Air National Guard and holds the rank of colonel. In this role, he acts as the general counsel for commanders and first sergeants providing advice and guidance on a wide range of military legal issues. In his civilian capacity, Michael assists military members facing courts-martial, administrative boards and any other disciplinary and administrative issues. He also maintains a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Services and Industries
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Cannabis and Hemp Law
- Class Action Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Employment and Labor
- Noncompete and Trade Secrets
- Outside Corporate Counsel
- Agribusiness and Food
- Consumer Products and Services
- Energy and Utilities
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Manufacturing and Innovation
- Sports, Media and Entertainment
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- Lafayette College (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Colorado Air National Guard
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2023), Litigation - Labor and Employment (2023-present)
- 5280 Magazine Top Lawyer (2021-2022)