L. Michelle Lewis is an associate in the firm’s Litigation practice group, where she focuses on employment and labor matters, with particular experience in the context of higher education.
With an extensive background as a former university director of institutional diversity and equity, Michelle advises clients on institutional compliance with Title II, Title VII and Title IX, in addition to Executive Order 11246 (Affirmative Action Programs). Clients also benefit from her human resources background for counsel on employment law compliance, policy development, diversity initiatives and labor relations.
Michelle has in-depth experience in developing policies on the prevention of harassment and discrimination in work and learning environments, in addition to conducting small and large-scale employment investigations. She also has an extensive background in Affirmative Action Program (AAP) compliance, including developing and interpreting annual AAP data reports and coordinating the oversight of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) compliance reviews. Additionally, Michelle’s vast array of employment law experience includes collective bargaining agreements, negotiations, arbitration and mediation.
Services and Industries
Michelle was a law clerk at the firm prior to joining as an associate. Before that, she was director of institutional diversity and equity at Saint Louis University. Before that, she was human resources manager for a major nonprofit organization.
- Saint Louis University (J.D.)
- Dean’s List
- Academic Excellence Awards: Legal Research and Writing, Client Counseling, Worker’s Compensation, Climate Change and the Law
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society
- ABA Regional Client Counseling Competition Winner
- Lindenwood University (M.S.)
- Business Management
- Illinois State University (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Mound City Bar Association
- Human Resource Certification Institute Exam Preparation (Employment Law Subject-Matter Expert)
- Woman of the Year, Saint Louis University (2018)
- Outstanding Young Women of America
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities