Peter Oakes has extensive knowledge of the fintech space and is considered one of the top authorities on the field in Europe. His practice is focused at the intersection of digital financial services and regulation.
A former central banker and fintech practitioner, Peter is also the founder of Fintech UK, Fintech Ireland, USTechFin and other geographically focused fintech groups. During his time as an industry practitioner, Peter held roles as strategic adviser, in-house counsel, chief risk officer, chief compliance officer and Money Laundering Reporting Officer at investment management firms, mutual funds and payment institutions in the U.K. and Ireland. Peter has successfully established, grown and exited several consulting and training businesses.
He is qualified as a solicitor in Australia (NSW), the U.K. and Ireland.
An international keynote speaker and media commentator, Peter has presented to more than 10,000 professionals at events on various topics including corporate governance, regulation, regulatory risk, fintech and financial services.
In addition to his legal qualifications, Peter holds postgraduate qualifications in company directorship and corporate governance. Peter is non-executive director of several innovative regulated fintech businesses including Susquehanna International (MiFID), TransferMate (Payments Institution) and Optal Financial Europe (Emoney Institution) and is Chairman of AWM Wealth Advisers (MiFID). He has assisted numerous fintech and regulatory technology businesses located in Australia, Ireland, U.K. and U.S. through serving on their advisory boards.
Peter was ranked as a Band 1 fintech consultant by the influential independent body Chambers & Partners in its inaugural ranking for Ireland, and is described by clients as being at the “top of the list of local Dublin-based regulatory consultants” and “my first port of call for any FinTech looking to obtain an e-money licence.” Peter was an early member of the highly regarded FinTech50 International Selection Panel and led the launch of ‘The FintechIreland20’ in conjunction with the Fintech50.
*Peter Oakes serves Armstrong Teasdale Ltd. as a non-exclusive consultant and independent contractor. He is not an employee or partner of the firm, and may serve in a similar role to other third parties, including law firms.
Peter served as a consultant at Kerman & Co. in London and joined Armstrong Teasdale when the firms combined in early 2021.
Peter has previously held senior roles with the Central Bank of Ireland (Director, Enforcement & Financial Crime), U.K. Financial Services Authority (Enforcement Lawyer), the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (Senior Officer) and the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (Adviser to Governor and Deputy Governor, Banking Supervision).
- Institute of Directors (Chartered Director Exams, 2009)
- Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction (Director Responsibilities and Corporate Governance)
- The Michael Smurfit School of Business, University College (Graduate Diploma, 2006)
- Corporate Governance
- University of Sydney (Law Extension Committee, Legal Practitioners Admission Board NSW, 1997)
- Law exams prior to admission as a Legal Practitioner in NSW (June 1997)
- England and Wales
- Republic of Ireland
- Solicitors Regulatory Authority (U.K.) (1999-present)
- Legal Practitioners Admission Board (NSW, Australia) (1997-present)
- Institute of Directors (Member, 2006-present)
- Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland (Member, 2004-present)
- TransferMate Global Payments (Non-executive Director, 2016-present)
- AWM Wealth Advisers Limited (Non-executive Chairman, 2019-present)
- Optal Financial Europe Limited (Non-executive Director, 2018-present)
- Susquehanna International Group (Non-executive Director, 2015-present)
- Deposify (Advisory Board, 2016-2022)
- The Mizen Group LLC (Advisory Committee Member, 2019-2020)
- Corlytics (Member, Global Advisory Board, 2017-2020)
- Ignition Wealth (Member of the Advisory Board, 2017-2019)
- Kyckr Limited (Advisory Committee Member, 2017-2019)
- Irish Australian Chamber of Commerce (Founding President, 2016-2019)
- Clearsettle (Advisory Committee Member, 2016-2018)
- Bank of America Merchant Services (Board Director, Chief Risk Officer, Data Protection & MLRO (Europe), 2014-2016)
- First Data Merchant Services (Chief Risk Officer, 2014-2016)
- Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency – SAMA (Adviser to Banking Supervision Division, 2014)
- Central Bank of Ireland (Director of Enforcement & Financial Crime, 2010-2013)
- IFSC Capital & Investment Services Limited (Director, Owner and Company Solicitor (associate business to Compliance Ireland, 2008-2010)
- Oasis Global Management Company (Ireland) Limited (Independent Non-executive Director, 2008-2010)
- Compliance Ireland Regulatory Services Limited (Founder, Owner, Managing Director and Company Solicitor, 2003-2010)
- Panel of Assessors (Market Abuse, Transparency and Prospectus Regulations) (Member, 2007-2010)
- BISYS (Director, Legal and Compliance, 2003-2004)
- Baring Asset Management (2001-2002)
- Delaware International (2000-2001)
- Financial Services Authority (1997-1999)
- Australian Securities and Investment Commission (1991-1997)
- Chambers, Fintech, Band 1 (2020 and 2021)