As a partner in the intellectual property group, Courtney Jackson focuses her practice on domestic and foreign trademark portfolio management. Most often, she provides counsel regarding brand management, strategy and related operational issues involving trademarks and copyrights.
For various national and international organizations, Courtney assists in the development, maintenance and protection of their trademark portfolios. She gives opinions relating to trademark selection, protection and infringement issues. She also negotiates and drafts worldwide agreements relating to the licensing and coexistence of intellectual property rights and the distribution of related products.
In addition to providing counsel on product packaging, advertising and marketing materials, Courtney assists clients in the creation and legal implementation of marketing promotions, including sweepstakes and contests that often involve social media. Courtney also works closely with the firm’s IP litigators to assess risk, develop strategy, and drive litigation, threatened lawsuits and other IP-related disputes to successful resolution for her clients. Additionally, Courtney handles the IP due diligence and related aspects of complex business transactions, specifically brand acquisitions and divestitures.
Courtney represents clients in a wide range of industries including consumer products, fashion, retail, animal care, skincare, gaming, food and beverage, financial and software industries.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Student Bar Association
- Public Interest Law Group
- Presidential Election Judge, 2004
- Loyola University Chicago (B.A., Dean's List, 2005)
- English, Minors in French and Theatre
- Loyola University Honors Program
- Loyola Presidential Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Wesley Jessen Academic Scholarship
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- The Missouri Bar
- International Trademark Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- St. Clement of Rome Parish Liturgical Choir (2010-Present)
- Top 200 USPTO Representative, TrademarkNow (2018)
Prior to joining the firm, Courtney served as corporate counsel for Kellwood Company, a privately held organization specializing in apparel design, manufacturing, wholesale sales and retail. At Kellwood, Courtney managed the trademark, copyright and patent portfolios for numerous fashion and outdoor brands.