Armstrong Teasdale has a long history of representing educational institutions in all facets of their business operations and governance. Whether it is related to campus safety, online learning, employee relations, Title IX or other investigations, we are intimately familiar with the unique circumstances that institutions face day-to-day. More than 160 educational institutions internationally have relied on our firm’s counsel in a broad range of areas.
From regulatory compliance and transactional negotiation to intellectual property (IP) protection and high-profile litigation, we collaborate with each institution to understand its unique goals and culture, and deliver services that add value and result in efficient communication, productive problem-solving and constructive partnerships. Our clients range from large research institutions with international campuses to historically black colleges, small liberal arts schools and career-focused or vocational schools. Further, our active membership in the Association of University Technology Managers, Inc. and the National Association of College and University Attorneys demonstrates the team’s commitment to our clients’ needs in this industry. Our team of experienced lawyers includes former university administrators as well as current and former educators and examiners, providing valuable insight into the issues and challenges faced in the educational field.
Members of the higher education team are experienced in a broad range of legal areas, including:
- Student affairs and compliance
- Regulatory and accreditation requirements and compliance
- Faculty affairs
- Employment, labor and benefits
- Immigration (including student visas and post-study work visas)
- Policy drafting
- Intellectual property
- University spin-outs and technology transfer
- Mergers, acquisitions, sales and restructuring
- Health care and safeguarding
- Industrial security/facility clearances
- Contract drafting and negotiating, including technology procurement and vendor services
- Finance, fundraising and donor bequests
- Privacy and data security
- White-collar defense, compliance and investigations
Elementary and Secondary Education
In addition to higher education, Armstrong Teasdale also has an established history of representing organizations focused on elementary and secondary education. Our representation includes public and private institutions on issues of compliance, civil rights, privacy, specialized investigations and more. Globally, we also represent independent secondary schools and specialist institutions providing education and care to at-risk youth and special education.