At heart, being inclusive means everyone has a seat at the table. At Armstrong Teasdale, we define inclusion and diversity broadly and focus on helping professionals of all races, religions, national origins, gender identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations and physical abilities feel a sense of belonging. Inclusion and diversity are core values of the firm, and we recognize the richness they bring to our workplace.
More than policies and written goals, we value inclusion in practice, presenting opportunities for attorneys and staff to participate in engaging dialogue and firmwide initiatives that challenge us and help us recruit, support and retain diverse professionals. From training and workshops to mentoring opportunities and social events, we are committed to promoting inclusivity within the legal profession. Such key initiatives are implemented from the top down and also include offering employee benefits such as flexible work arrangements and paid parental leave.
Annually, the Inclusion Committee reports to the firm’s Executive Committee on various activities and initiatives, holding ourselves accountable for this core value at the highest levels of firm management. We also distribute an annual inclusion report for further accountability.
We are committed to diversity within our client teams, ensuring that team leaders, supporting attorneys and professional staff are diverse in compliance with legal industry standards. Our clients consistently challenge us to align with diversity initiatives, and we take the mandate seriously. Bringing people with different experiences and opinions to the table enables us to better serve our clients.
The firm is also actively involved with various affinity groups, community and civic organizations that focus on driving diversity and inclusion through various events and conferences across the country. In 2018, we were active with a number of organizations, including the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Association of Corporate Counsel, Hispanic National Bar Association, Latin American Educational Foundation, Minority Corporate Counsel Association, National Employment Law Council, Asian Pacific American Bar Association and various women’s bar associations nationwide.
Women’s Inclusion Network
The mission of Armstrong Teasdale’s Women's Inclusion Network (WIN) is to create a positive and supportive environment for women attorneys and staff through mentoring, networking and educational opportunities. It also aims to strengthen existing relationships with clients and prospects as well as forge new relationships between professional and executive women in the community. As a result, our women are generating new business, serving as first-chair in trials, handling sizable matters and holding leadership positions firmwide.
At Armstrong Teasdale, we believe that good corporate citizenship includes supporting supplier diversity efforts to create sustainable economic development in the communities where we live and work. We are actively seeking business relationships with minority-owned, women-owned and LGBTQ-owned businesses, and encourage inclusive suppliers to do business with us.
Select Awards and Accolades
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation Corporate Equality Index: For several years in a row, the firm has received the highest possible score on the Index, a national benchmarking survey and report on corporate policies and practices related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender workplace equality.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Compass Award: In 2018, Armstrong Teasdale, an LCLD Member Firm, earned the award by actively participating in various LCLD programs designed to build a more open and diverse legal profession.
- Inclusiveness @ Work: Armstrong Teasdale earned the award, presented by the Center for Legal Inclusiveness, in 2018. The award recognizes one law firm each year for leveraging the different strengths and talents within their organization; incorporating management practices to allow equal access to opportunities; creating an inclusive environment; and collaborating with partners outside the firm to make the community more inclusive.
- Best in Class Diversity and Inclusion award: Client Ameren awarded Armstrong Teasdale with this honor in 2016, recognizing AT for "outstanding diversity and inclusion efforts, including the services that you provide to Ameren, the work within your own firm and your contributions to the community at large."
- Michael C. Tramble Memorial Scholarship Fund: Armstrong Teasdale created the fund in 2004 in memory of Michael, a promising African-American associate who tragically lost his life in 1998. Demonstrating inclusion and teamwork, the firm holds events and fundraisers each year to award a scholarship to a minority or military veteran law student at the University of Missouri in his name. We celebrate Michael's life, ground ourselves in the importance of diversity, and assure other minorities have a chance to succeed in the legal profession.