Crystal Howard is a skilled tax attorney in the firm’s Corporate Services practice group. She counsels clients on a wide range of federal income tax matters, including those related to business transactions.
Crystal regularly advises partnerships and corporations on tax matters in the context of entity formation, reorganization and dissolution. She also provides guidance on tax controversies at the federal, state and local levels, including before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state agencies. Her collaborative approach enables her to create strategic, customized solutions and business plans for her clients that help them reach their growth goals while minimizing tax implications.
Crystal previously served as in-house counsel for a nonprofit organization, and in her practice today, she counsels nonprofits and other tax-exempt organizations on a variety of legal and tax issues, including those related to structure and fundraising.
Prior to joining the firm, Crystal spent eight years in private practice, advising businesses and individuals on a broad range of tax planning and controversy matters, as well as pension, health and welfare benefits, and ERISA compliance. She also served as in-house counsel to a nonprofit organization and as a tax research specialist for a multinational tax preparation company.
Crystal also spent several years working in the education field as an assistant director in the learning center for a private Catholic university in Kansas.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (LL.M., 2009)
- Kansas City Tax Clinic, Student Attorney
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- The Urban Lawyer, Case Note and Review Editor
- UMKC Law Review, Staff Member
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), Tax Supervisor
- William Jewell College (B.A., 2002)
- English and History
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Hope House, Member of the Board of Directors
- Leadership Overland Park, Kansas 2019
- Nutra-Net (Former Member, Board of Directors)