Crystal Howard is a skilled corporate and tax attorney in the firm’s Corporate Services practice group. She counsels clients on a wide range of business and tax matters, relating to complex business transactions and tax structuring.
Crystal concentrates her legal practice in mergers and acquisitions, general corporate issues, emerging companies, and corporate governance, helping business owners with a growth mindset accomplish their business goals and minimize their taxes. Crystal regularly advises partnerships and corporations on tax matters in the context of entity formation, reorganization and dissolution. In her tax practice, she helps clients structure business deals to be tax advantaged and also provides guidance on tax controversies at the federal, state and local levels, including before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state agencies. Her collaborative approach enables her to create strategic, customized solutions and business plans for her clients that help them reach their business objectives while minimizing tax implications.
Crystal previously served as in-house counsel for a nonprofit organization, and in her practice today, she counsels nonprofits and other tax-exempt organizations on a variety of legal and tax issues, including those related to structure and fundraising.
Prior to joining the firm, Crystal spent eight years in private practice, advising businesses and individuals on a broad range of tax planning and controversy matters, as well as pension, health and welfare benefits, and ERISA compliance. She also served as in-house counsel to a nonprofit organization and as a tax research specialist for a multinational tax preparation company.
Crystal also spent several years working in the education field as an assistant director in the learning center for a private Catholic university in Kansas.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (LL.M., 2009)
- Kansas City Tax Clinic, Student Attorney
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- The Urban Lawyer, Case Note and Review Editor
- UMKC Law Review, Staff Member
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), Tax Supervisor
- William Jewell College (B.A., 2002)
- English and History
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Hope House, Member of the Board of Directors
- Leadership Overland Park, Kansas 2019
- Nutra-Net (Former Member, Board of Directors)