Deidre Powell is an associate in the firm’s Litigation practice group. Her wide-ranging experience in higher education, public service and for a major telecommunications company enables her to effectively serve clients across a variety of areas including general commercial litigation, employment and labor, higher education, estate planning, corporate law, toxic torts and medical malpractice.
Based on her prior experience, Deidre is intimately familiar with counseling clients in highly regulated industries, including matters involving the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), as well as criminal investigation demands (CID) by the government.
She is skilled in legal research and discovery, deposition preparation, and in drafting and reviewing various agreements.
Having earned her master’s degree in human resource management, Deidre also has deep experience counseling clients at the intersection of people management and the law.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Deidre was the legal compliance officer for a St. Louis-area university where she supported the general counsel on COVID-19-related compliance matters. Further, while obtaining her legal degree, Deidre was a legal intern at a major telecommunications company where she supported various legal departments working alongside senior vice presidents and the vice presidents of general counsel.
During law school, Deidre was a part-time student legal worker assigned to assist residents in Southern Illinois on trusts and estates issues, including power of attorneys, wills, guardianships and transfer on death instruments.
Before that, Deidre was a mentor services specialist for the Boys & Girls Club of Greater St. Louis, where she managed and supported the daily operations of the Mentoring Services program throughout the St. Louis Metro area. Deidre also served as executive assistant to the mayor of East St. Louis, Illinois. Lastly, Deidre has prior experience as an elementary school teacher in Illinois.
- Southern Illinois University - Carbondale (J.D., cum laude, 2021)
- Dean’s List (2019, 2021)
- Law Journal Review (Article Editor)
- CALI Award for Excellence in Contracts and Business Organizations
- Mock Trial Team Member
- Lindenwood University (M.A., 2013)
- Human Resource Management
- Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville (B.S., 2011)
- Political Science/Health Education
- Illinois (pending)
- Kansas (pending)
- Mound City Bar Association
- Midwestern Black Lawyer Student Association (Executive Board Member, 2018-2019)
- Environmental Law Society (Member, 2018-2021)
- Black Graduate Student Council (Committee Member, 2018-2019)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Urban League Young Professionals of St. Louis, Board Member (Accountability Chair, 2016-2017)
- NAACP ESTL Branch, Executive Committee & Youth Council Advisor (2015-2018)
- United Way, Metro East Community Services (Panel Member, 2015-2016)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated (Member)
- Focus STL, Emerging Leader Graduate (2015)
- Ameren Corporate Frankie Museman Trailblazer Scholar (2019)
- American Association of University Women Scholar (2019)
- Clemens Scholarship for Women Lawyers Scholar (2020)
- Charles D. and Fairy B. Neal Legal Clinic Fellow Scholar (2021)
- Judge James O. Monroe, Jr. Scholar (2021)