Eric Macey is considered one of the country’s top commercial litigators. He has earned a number of accolades throughout his career including recognition from Chambers USA, Illinois Super Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America®.
His clients consist of a wide range of business corporations and institutions, investment ventures, partnerships and individuals. Eric has represented International Game Technology, Groupon, PJM Interconnection, LLC, Sears Holdings Management Corporation, Medline Industries, Inc., Kohler Co., Sunoco Logistics, L.P., Yahoo! Inc., General Growth Properties, Inc., Constellation Energy Group, Mirant Corporation, Central Purchasing LLC, North American Corporation of Illinois, Checker Taxi Association, Inc., The Lurie Co., GES Exposition Services, Inc., Travelweb LLC, McDonald’s Corporation, affiliates of Time Inc., Hyatt Corporation, ExxonMobil Corporation and Harbor Freight Tools.
Although he is always happy to see a client’s case through to a successful resolution short of trial, Eric is most at home in the courtroom. He has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the country and has acted as both an arbitrator and mediator in various alternative dispute resolution settings.
For many years, Eric has been an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law and has taught courses in trial advocacy and discovery. He also has experience as an instructor with the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Eric also teaches the Business Law course at Indiana University at its Northwest Indiana campus.
Active in the legal community, Eric is a current member and past president (2006-2008) of the Chicago-Lincoln American Inn of Court. He is also a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and a member of the Chicago Bar Foundation’s Abraham Lincoln Circle of Justice, a prestigious group of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals who support the long-term sustainability of the Foundation’s mission.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Eric founded Novack and Macey, a Chicago commercial and business litigation firm, in 1984. He joined Armstrong Teasdale in 2023.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., high honors, 1978)
- Order of the Coif
- George Washington Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania (M.A., 1975)
- Full-tuition scholarship
- Research scholarship
- Princeton University (A.B., magna cum laude, 1973)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Chicago Bar Association, Abraham Lincoln Circle of Justice
- American Bar Association (Fellow)
- International Society of Barristers (Fellow)
- Chicago-Lincoln American Inn of Court (Officer, 2002-2008; 2018-2020; Past President, 2006-2008)
- Northwestern University School of Law (Adjunct Professor)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (Instructor)
- Indiana University Northwest School of Business and Economics (Adjunct Professor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- The Posse Foundation Past Chairman (Chicago Chapter) and National Board Member
- Illinois Super Lawyers® (2005-present), Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois (2012-present)
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation: Bankruptcy, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2024); Commercial Litigation (2020-present), Litigation: Real Estate (2017-present); Lawyer of the Year, Litigation: Real Estate (2017, 2020)
- Preeminent Attorney, Martindale-Hubbell (client rated – 5.0/5.0)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2004-present)