Jim Heinen, Jr. is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group, serves as leader of the firm’s Higher Education industry team, and leads the Patent Agent/Engineer subgroup. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and focuses on the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications for those in the chemical and biochemical industries.
Jim also has extensive experience in opinion-related work, including freedom-to-operate, patentability, state-of-the-art searching and white-space analysis. His experience also includes post-grant proceedings, including inter partes reviews, validity assessments, foreign oppositions and patent term analysis comprising the calculation of term adjustments and expiration dates. Jim also supports numerous universities, both public and private, and tech-transfer offices on their patent portfolios.
As leader of the Patent Agent/Engineer subgroup, Jim oversees the hiring, training and development of patent agents and patent engineers/scientists.
Jim’s experience involves a variety of subject matters spanning a broad range of chemical and biochemical technologies, such as pharmaceuticals, small molecule design, trace detection systems, nanotechnologies, medical devices, cardiology and vascular access products, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, rice breeding technology, polymeric materials, skin science and technology, personal care articles and formulations, electrochemical cells, pediatric and adult nutritionals, microencapsulation, semiconductor materials, creative packaging solutions, bottle/container/closure technology and design.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- Miami University - Oxford, Ohio (B.A., 2003)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Mentoring Program, 2012-2014)
- St. Louis Sports Commission Associates
- Armstrong Teasdale Hiring Committee
- Armstrong Teasdale Patent Agent/Engineer Subgroup (Leader)
- Armstrong Teasdale Higher Education Industry Team (Leader)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Miami University Alumni Association, St. Louis Chapter (President, 2009-2014)
- Up & Coming Award, Missouri Lawyers Media (2018)
- Selected as Mentor for the American Intellectual Property Law Association (2012-2014)
Prior to attending law school, Jim interned as a chemist for The Sherwin-Williams Co. at the Breen Technology Center. Prior to joining the firm, he was an attorney at a Washington, D.C., law firm.