Jeffrey F. Barr is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Services practice group with decades of eclectic legal and crisis management experience.
While Jeff focuses his practice on counseling clients in the cannabis and hemp industries with respect to business transactions, commercial litigation, real estate, crisis management and government relations, he also has experience with municipal law and has handled civil rights matters for his clients.
Jeff has litigated corporate disputes, contract issues and comprehensive regulatory controversies in the Nevada cannabis industry. He has counseled cannabis clients in connection with choosing proposed facility sites; helped clients understand and secure zoning and land use approvals; negotiated and drafted cannabis asset/equity purchase contracts, management agreements, employment agreements, commercial financing contracts, licensing agreements and leases; and managed government affairs on behalf of marijuana clients.
In addition, Jeff has spent his entire career helping clients manage and recover from crisis situations:
- Before becoming a lawyer, Jeff was a nationally registered emergency medical technician (EMT), running 911 emergency calls in Tacoma, Washington, and Las Vegas, Nevada. He estimates that he has cared for approximately 10,000 patients in his career.
- As an attorney, Jeff has successfully represented clients in high-profile cases garnering intense media scrutiny, including,
- multiple cases involving police officer shootings;
- a multimillion-dollar lawsuit between a municipality and a county over a sewage treatment plant;
- several hotly contested election challenges; and
- numerous cannabis operators facing regulatory discipline.
- Jeff counseled the City of North Las Vegas through two consecutive declarations of “Fiscal Emergency,” successfully avoiding municipal insolvency and a concomitant state takeover of the city’s finances.
Jeff also handles appeals before the Supreme Court of Nevada and the Ninth Circuit for clients in all industries.
Before joining the firm, Jeff was partner and co-founder of Ashcraft & Barr LLP. In 2015, the Nevada Attorney General selected Jeff as co-facilitator of his office transition.
Prior to that, he was City Attorney and Chief Legal Officer for the City of North Las Vegas, which is Nevada’s third-largest municipality. In that role, he supervised a team of 18 professionals and managed a budget of over $6.7 million, advising the City Council and City Manager on various matters. He also represented the city in all litigation matters.
Prior to his government work, Jeff worked in private practice in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Seattle University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1999)
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas (M.B.A., 1996)
- Economics and Finance
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas (B.A., with honors, 1992)
- Political Science
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- State Bar of Nevada, Cannabis Law Section
- National Cannabis Bar Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church (Parish President)
- St. Thomas More Society (Founding Member)
- AV Preeminent® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (2013-present)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers® (2017-present), Top Rated Appellate Attorney (2019)
- Nevada Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite” (2013-2018)