Jeffrey Wurst has more than 30 years of experience and is well recognized for handling significant commercial finance and bankruptcy matters. He is an esteemed fellow of the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers and is a panelist on the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Arbitrators.
Highly regarded for his knowledge and experience in commercial finance, Jeff is an outside-the-box thinker who is skilled in handling matters involving loan workouts, asset-based lending, factoring, syndications, leasing and C&I, as well as bankruptcy matters, and turnaround situations stemming from transactions. His experience also extends to counseling emerging finance companies and commercial marketplace lenders.
Jeff advises lenders and borrowers when commercial borrowers seek protection, whether in or out of bankruptcy, often under Chapter 11 and state court insolvency proceedings. He has extensive experience in obtaining orders authorizing debtors-in-possession to borrow money on a secured basis, and in litigating contested claims for use of cash collateral. Jeff is also well versed in representing clients who are acquiring the assets or stock of companies in bankruptcy, and regularly represents the interests of commercial landlords in bankruptcy matters.
Jeff has in-depth experience representing both lenders and borrowers in litigation arising from transactions, and is often called upon to handle inter-lender disputes. His litigation experience includes the successful defense of major money center banks in venues across the country related to lender liability, lien priority disputes, fraudulent conveyance and similar actions. He is engaged both as an advocate and as a neutral in arbitration proceedings under state and federal law, and is a frequent speaker advancing the use of arbitration in commercial finance matters. In addition, Jeff has successfully argued appeals in the Second, Third and Fourth Circuit Courts of Appeals on matters involving bankruptcy, financing and lender liability.
With Jeff’s broad knowledge and experience coupled with his savvy business sense, he is frequently called upon to serve as a receiver in state and federal proceedings where he has been successful in maximizing recoveries for the various constituents. He is listed as qualified to serve as both a receiver and counsel to receivers under the New York State fiduciary rules (Part 36 of the Rules of the Chief Judge of the State of New York).
An established writer and blogger, Jeff’s Wurst Case Scenario, the commercial finance law newsletter, has thousands of followers. He is also a frequent lecturer on topics concerning lenders and entrepreneurs.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Jeff devoted over 30 years in private practice at another New York area law firm. While there, he served as chair of the Financial Services, Banking and Bankruptcy department.
During the prior 16 years, Jeff was a music and English teacher in Oceanside, New York.
- Touro College Jacob D. Fuschberg Law Center (J.D., magna cum laude, 1987)
- Hofstra University (M.A., 1974)
- Hofstra University (B.A., 1971)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys, Director
- New York Institute of Credit, Past Chair
- Turnaround Management Association Global, Past Vice President
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Commercial Finance (Alternative Dispute Resolution, Subcommittee Chair), Legal Opinions Committees
- New York State Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Commercial Finance Alternate Resolution Committee Chair
- Long Island Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association, Founding Member and Past President
- ABF Journal, Editorial Board Member
- Secured Finance Network, Board Member, Education Foundation
- American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV-rated
- LawDragon 500 Leading Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers (2022)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers®, Banking (2014-present)
- Pulse Magazine Top Bankruptcy Attorney (2017)
- Long Island Business News Business & Finance Award (2015)
- New York Institute of Credit, Hon. Burton R. Lifland Mentor of the Year Award (2015)
- New York Institute of Credit, Leadership in Credit Education Award (2009)