Joan Yu, head of the firm’s U.K. Capital Markets practice, is an experienced corporate solicitor focusing on the areas of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and private equity. She primarily counsels clients in the natural resources sector, as well as early-stage businesses and entrepreneurs in the technology sector.
Joan’s experience includes company flotations and secondary offerings of shares on both the Official List and AIM market of the London Stock Exchange PLC, as well as the Aquis Stock Exchange, and advice on the Takeover Code, reverse takeovers, cross-border scheme of arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, equity-based fundraisings, strategic investments and joint ventures.
She regularly handles cross-border matters, advising U.K. and international companies particularly in the Far East, Latin America, Europe and Africa.
Joan qualified as a solicitor in 2002 and became a partner at Kerman & Co. in 2007. She also served as head of the firm’s capital markets practice and head of Asia Pacific. She joined Armstrong Teasdale in early 2021 when it combined with Kerman & Co. In 2018, Joan worked at a full-service law firm in Dublin as a partner.
- Queen Mary University of London (B.Sc., Hons, 1996)
- Mathematics with Business Studies
- England and Wales, 2002
- Republic of Ireland, 2017
- British Irish Chamber of Commerce
- Australian Chamber of Commerce (U.K.)
- Quoted Companies Alliance
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Women in Banking & Finance (Member, London Mentoring Team)
- The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, Projects, Energy and Natural Resources: Oil and Gas, Mining and Minerals and Equity Capital Markets: Low-Mid Cap (2018-present)
- Cantonese Chinese
- Mandarin Chinese