Matt Shorey is a partner and skilled trial lawyer having argued and won jury and bench trials in jurisdictions throughout Missouri. With a multifaceted practice spanning a wide range of litigation subsets, Matt primarily focuses on the defense of medical malpractice, insurance, product liability, tort, utility, municipal, construction and commercial actions. Matt also has extensive health law experience, including advising and presenting to physicians and health care administrators.
Matt’s experience in private practice and as in-house counsel for the medical campus of a large, private university lends to his deep understanding of client needs and ability to address concerns before they arise.
In the medical malpractice arena, Matt has defended hospitals, physicians, nurses and other providers.
Matt has defended many different types of tort cases, including claims for battery, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, malicious prosecution, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, strict liability, premises liability, punitive damages and wrongful death. Matt has also litigated Missouri Merchandising Practices Act claims and has significant experience defending claims alleging punitive damages.
Further, Matt has litigated complex construction claims involving construction management, construction and design defects, project delays, mechanic’s liens, subcontractors and suppliers.
Matt has significant experience representing insurers in matters relating to life, health and disability insurance policies, including ERISA cases. He has litigated claims involving excess insurance, misrepresentation, lapse, accidental death and dismemberment, conditional receipt, denials and terminations of disability benefits, vexatious refusal, legal disability, stop loss insurance and beneficiary designations.
Matt also has extensive litigation experience relating to utilities, including first-chair trial and injunction hearing experience. He also has trial-level and appellate experience with litigation involving municipalities and other governmental entities, and broad experience in trust and trustee litigation, and real estate litigation.
Services and Industries
- Class Action Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Construction Services
- Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Consumer Products and Services
- Energy and Utilities
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Manufacturing and Innovation
- Real Estate, Development, Construction
Before joining Armstrong Teasdale, Matt served as Senior Associate General Counsel for a major metropolitan university. Prior to that, he spent nearly 17 years with Armstrong Teasdale LLP.
Matt also previously served as law clerk for Judge Lawrence G. Crahan of the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- University of Missouri (B.A., magna cum laude, 1995)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- The American Health Lawyers Association