Michael Engle is a skilled trial lawyer with more than 20 years of experience handling complex criminal cases, internal investigations and compliance matters. He also handles civil litigation matters, often involving the defense of False Claims Act or qui tam actions. Michael’s clients rely on his sound judgment as they face complex allegations, and appreciate his ability to provide individualized attention and consistent communication.
A fellow of the esteemed American College of Trial Lawyers, Michael regularly represents individuals, public officials and professionals, public and private companies of all sizes, nonprofits and other organizations in federal and state courts primarily on the East Coast, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland and Washington, D.C. His representations often involve parallel criminal, civil or regulatory proceedings or investigations. He also routinely represents clients in connection with grand jury subpoenas and civil investigative demands (CIDs).
Michael is skilled in representing clients in government inquiries as well as matters related to employee theft and fraud, workplace injuries and deaths, theft of trade secrets or confidential information, and antitrust law. He also guides companies through compliance audits related to anti-money laundering, the Bank Secrecy Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other related laws and regulations. While he represents clients across a wide variety of industries, Michael has specific experience in environmental and health care litigation matters, as well as in higher education where he has defended fraternal members and organizations in Title IX investigations, grand jury investigations, as well as criminal and civil hazing cases.
A frequent speaker and adjunct professor, Michael presents to clients, key industry organizations and law students on white-collar defense, grand jury matters, federal criminal litigation and other related topics. Actively involved in the professional community, Michael is a past president of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL) and currently serves as co-chair of the White-Collar Practice Committee.
*Michael is licensed as shown under “Admissions”; not licensed in New Jersey.
Services and Industries
- White-Collar Criminal Defense and Government Investigations
- Internal Investigations and Regulatory Compliance
- Financial Services and Banking
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Securities Regulation and Litigation
- Antitrust and Trade Practices
- Higher Education
- Energy and Utilities
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Michael served as chair of the White-Collar Defense, Compliance & Investigations practice at another national law firm. He has worked in private practice at a variety of other large law firms in Philadelphia, and also has more than 10 years of experience operating his own law firm.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2000)
- Villanova University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1997)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers (ABCL), Fellow
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), Fellow
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) (Director, Board of Directors, August 2019 - February 2021; Vice-Chair, Council of Affiliates, August 2019 - February 2021)
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL) (President, 2009-2011; Co-Chair, White-Collar Practice Committee, 2012-present)
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Foundation for Justice (Secretary)
- Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Temple University Law School (Adjunct Professor, Sentencing Advocacy, Spring 2020 to present)
- The Charles P. Gelso President’s Award, Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent rating
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® (2011-present)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, Top 100 Pennsylvania (2018)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, Top 100 Philadelphia (2017-2018)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2008, 2010)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Criminal Defense - General Practice (2015-present)