A partner in Armstrong Teasdale’s Intellectual Property practice group, Michael Gnibus has substantial experience preparing and prosecuting patents for a variety of industries and global markets. Having held various leadership roles at some of the world’s most innovative companies, Michael is uniquely positioned to guide clients in maximizing the commercial impact potential of their IP assets.
With Michael’s deep domain knowledge and significant in-house experience serving as patent counsel for a technically diverse group of global businesses, he is able to effectively partner with clients to develop patent filing and review practices and methodologies that yield commercially impactful patent portfolios. He is also able to assess and enhance clients’ patent operations/processes to measurably improve their efficiency and productivity.
Michael prepares and prosecutes domestic and international patent applications for technologies in a wide range of fields and industries. He provides opinions on patentability, validity, noninfringement and freedom-to-operate matters, and is also skilled at preparing and negotiating joint development, collaboration and nondisclosure agreements. In addition to his broad-based patent experience, Michael is skilled in developing and negotiating a variety of IP-related transactional matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael was president of patent asset management and chief revenue officer at a global IP asset management company. For more than 10 years he was also director of the global patent operation (GPO) for a Fortune 20 multinational conglomerate responsible for the development and management of its extensive global patent portfolio.
- Widener University Commonwealth Law School (J.D., 1992)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (B.S., 1987)
- Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Armstrong Teasdale United Way Campaign (Co-chair, 2021)
- Valley United Way, Shelton (Chair)
- Adviser, Valley United Way Youth Leadership Program Shelton, Connecticut
- Coach for Mock Trial Team Representing St. Thomas Aquinas Church Fairfield, Connecticut
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals (2022-present)