Mitch Marinello is a trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience in handling business and professional disputes in the courts and through arbitration and mediation. To date, he has served as an arbitrator in more than 225 business cases and frequently serves as the chair of three-person arbitration panels. He is also an accomplished and experienced mediator.
Mitch provides his clients with services ranging from skilled representation in court to practical advice on how to comply with the law, improve business practices or resolve a dispute quickly at a reasonable cost.
Mitch’s arbitration and mediation cases include both national and international business disputes and involve clients across industry sectors including manufacturing and innovation, health care and life sciences, construction, financial services and banking, transportation, consumer products and services, media and entertainment, and technology and telecommunications.
An adjunct professor at DePaul University College of Law, Mitch teaches a course on commercial arbitration. Known for his extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Mitch also serves as a director of the Resolution Systems Institute (RSI), an organization dedicated to enhancing ADR systems in the courts. He is a fellow and former board member of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and has been appointed to the Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. He is a long-time panelist with the American Arbitration Association (AAA) where he serves on the Large and Complex Case and Employment Panels, and mediates cases privately for both the AAA and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR). Further, Mitch has dedicated MitchellMarinelloADR.com to showcasing his ADR work.
A frequent author and speaker, Mitch is often called upon by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) for his deep experience in civil practice.
Services and Industries
Mitch joined Armstrong Teasdale from Novack and Macey in 2023. He served as Managing Partner of Novack and Macey for 10 years and was chair of the firm’s Arbitration and Mediation practice group.
Prior to that, Mitch was an associate at law firms in Chicago and New York City.
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Moot Court Board (Senior Writing Editor)
- Wesleyan University (B.A., magna cum laude and with honors, 1976)
- Thomas J. Watson Foundation (Fellow, 1977)
- Northwestern University School of Professional Studies (2014)
- Mediation Training (40-hour program)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Integrated Advisory Group (IAG) International (IAG Management Committee, Board of Directors and Secretary,2015-2020)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Former Co-Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 2017-2020; ADR Website Editor, 2012-present)
- Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter (Former Director)
- Chicago Bar Association, Civil Practice Committee (Past Chair)
- College of Commercial Arbitrators, Fellow, Director (2016-2021), Co-Chair Social Media Committee (2022-present), former Co-Chair Outreach Committee.
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) (Panelist and Mediator)
- Chicago International Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (Commercial and Employment Panels)
- National Futures Association panelist
- DePaul University College of Law (Adjunct Professor)
- Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals American Arbitration Association (Large and Complex Case and Employment Panels).
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Foundation
- Resolution Systems Institute (RSI) (Director and Secretary)
- Bauer Foundation (Director)
- Illinois Super Lawyers® (2005-present), Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois (2021-present)
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Commercial Litigation (2004-present)
- American Bar Association's Best Website, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2016), Most Valuable Committee ADR (2021)
- Exceptional Volunteer Recognition, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE)