Robert Browning is a member of the Tax, Public Finance, and Trust and Estates practice areas. Public and private companies of all sizes, in a broad range of industries, look to him for strategic federal, state, international and local tax advice. Rob routinely represents corporate and individual clients before the IRS, state taxing authorities and in U.S. Tax Court.
Collaborating with accountants and other advisors, Rob advises on tax provisions in asset acquisitions, stock acquisitions, transfers of LLC membership interests and overall deal structure while implementing tax-saving strategies.
For newly emerging businesses, Rob provides strategies for growth, governance and structure including choice of entity. Then, as businesses mature, he counsels regarding mergers and acquisitions, dissolution and valuation analysis.
In the real estate area, he advises both investors and developers in transactions involving historic, renewable energy and low-income housing tax credits. Rob’s background also includes significant experience representing real estate investment trusts (REITs), among them one of the largest REITs on the West Coast. In addition, he counsels municipalities and other organizations on tax-exempt bond issuances, handling due diligence matters and IRS filings.
Rob also assists in complex tax and wealth planning, estate planning and trust administration matters. He develops and implements solutions for high-net-worth clients’ complex tax issues, including creating the structures necessary to affect their wealth planning objectives.
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., with honors, 1999)
- Pepperdine University (J.D., 1998)
- University of Utah (B.A., 1994)
- California State Bar (Section of Taxation, Trust and Estates Section)
- American Bar Association (Tax Section)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Rainbow Village (former Board of Directors)
- Rainbow Village (former Chair of the Development Committee)
- Top 100 St. Louisans to Know to Succeed in Business, St. Louis Small Business Monthly (2019)
Prior to joining the firm, Rob was in private practice at a California law firm.
Rob writes materials for professional continuing education seminars and has served as a panel member at such programs.