Timothy Bergère has more than 35 years of experience in the field of environmental law. His experience working in government lends to his depth of knowledge when it comes to guiding clients whose activities are governed by federal and state environmental programs.
Serving Fortune 500 clients across the country, Tim regularly manages and resolves environmental liability issues arising from former holdings and operations, including Superfund “tail” liability that sometimes follows historic operations. He has played a role in dozens of Superfund cases nationwide. His resolution of those matters often requires innovative and creative problem solving, including the strategic use of environmental insurance policies or qualified settlement funds to manage and transfer risk.
Tim has been involved in all aspects of environmental counseling, and has served as lead environmental counsel in numerous business, financial and real estate transactions. In addition, he has extensive experience defending environmental investigations undertaken by civil and criminal enforcement authorities and as such, works closely with the firm’s White-Collar Criminal Defense attorneys.
In the instance of major casualty events, Tim is often involved in the underlying response, advising responsible parties and contractors in securing access to impacted areas, developing forensic evidence related to the cause of the casualty, identifying natural resource damages, evaluating plans for restoration, and pursuing contribution from responsible parties.
Services and Industries
Prior to joining the firm, Tim was a partner at a mid-Atlantic law firm where he served as chair of the Environmental Practice Group. Before that, he served as counsel for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, formerly known as the Department of Environmental Resources.
- University of New Hampshire School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Energy and Environmental Law
- New England College (B.A., 1980)
- Environmental Studies
- Political Science
- United States Law Firm Group (Environmental Law Committee, Chair)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Environmental, Mineral and Natural Resources Law Section, Former Chair and Section Delegate)
- Philadelphia Bar Association (Environmental Law Committee)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in Business, Environment (2003-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Environmental Law, Energy Law (2013-present)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® (2004-2006, 2009-present)
- Who’s Who Legal: Environment
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rated