Vance Knapp is a partner with more than 20 years of experience in management-side labor and employment law. Vance has extensive experience representing employers in federal and state court litigation and administrative proceedings throughout the U.S. He advises employers on ADA matters and accommodating employees with disabilities, recruiting, hiring, drug testing, workplace violence issues and terminations. Vance also has significant experience representing employers in FLSA collective actions, wage and hour matters and FINRA employment arbitrations. As a former prosecutor for the Denver City Attorney’s Office, Vance has tried over 300 cases, 30 of which were jury trials.
Having lectured and written extensively on labor and employment matters, Vance has been interviewed by media on social media and the workplace, as well as sexual harassment allegations brought against a local philosophy professor. He has also been interviewed by Newsweek, The Denver Post, and The Denver Business Journal on the impact of medical and recreational marijuana in the workplace.
Vance represents small employers to Fortune 100 employers in various industries including commercial aviation, assisted living, commercial agriculture, construction, financial services, hospitality and restaurants, manufacturing and retail.
- University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Associate Editor, University of Colorado Law Review
- Colorado State University (B.A., 1991)
- Political Science
- Member, Order of Omega National Honor Society
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- American Bar Association (Member, Labor and Employment Section)
- National Bar Association
- National Employment Law Council
- Arizona Bar Association
- GlobalMindED (Board Member-Elect)
- Colorado Bar Association (Member, Labor and Employment Section; Nomination Committee, 2006-2012)
- Denver Bar Association (Board of Trustees, 2010-2014; Board of Governors, 2008-2010)
- Sam Cary Bar Association (Colorado Affiliate of the National Bar Association (President, 2009; Immediate Past President, 2010; Board Member, 2009-2012)
- Defense Research Institute (Labor & Employment Committee and Diversity Committee Member)
- Colorado Society for Human Resource Management (Member and Resource Provider)
- University of Colorado School of Law (Alumni Board, 2006-2014; Adjunct Faculty Member, “The Practice of Labor & Employment Law,” Fall 2011)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and the Elderly (Board Member, 2009-present)
- Colorado General Counsel Group Advisor Program (2017)
- BTI Client Service All-Star (2016), Labor and Employment, The BTI Consulting Group
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Vance practiced labor and employment law at two prominent Denver law firms. Before entering private practice, Vance was a prosecutor in the Denver City Attorney’s Office for five years, where he gained valuable trial experience. Vance also clerked for a state trial court judge for a year, immediately after graduating from law school.