Zane Shihab has extensive experience representing some of the world’s largest and most recognisable sports organizations, events and athletes. He leads the firm’s U.K. sports, media and entertainment and intellectual property practice areas. He provides counsel to rights-holders, global brands, international sporting bodies and other high-profile individuals.
Zane focuses on brand protection and intellectual property, as well as the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts related to sponsorships, joint ventures, merchandising, broadcasting and new media, agency, distribution, franchise and image rights agreements, venue agreements and IP and software licenses.
Zane has negotiated numerous high-value sponsorship and supplier agreements and other event-related contracts on behalf of major international golf, running, cycling, football and tennis governing bodies, including the London Marathon, UEFA, Racehorse Owner’s Association, Horsemen, W Series, London & Surrey Cycling Partnership and The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon). He has drafted and advised on the agreements connected to high-profile Premier League football transfers and renegotiations, and has successfully represented well-known players in disciplinary proceedings brought by the Football Association of England.
In addition, Zane serves as key legal advisor, supporting in-house counsel at The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon), advising all departments across the organisation.
A regular contributor to sports publications, Zane frequently works with media and provides commentary on current events and sporting matters as they relate to the law.
Zane joined Armstrong Teasdale from Kerman & Co. in early 2021 when the firms combined. Working at Kerman & Co. for more than eight years, he served as head of sport, IP and media. Before that, Zane spent four years in private practice and three years as a contracts manager for a British broadcast company.
- Keele University (LL.B., 2002)
- Law and Biology
- College of Law (LPC, 2006)
- England and Wales, 2009
- The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon (Key legal advisor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Provided pro-bono legal advice to DeliverAid (not-for-profit venture) launched to help feed the heroes on the NHS frontline during COVID-19.
- Imparts pro-bono legal advice to Club Champions, which provides mentoring, guidance, and practical support to community sport organisations to help them become financially sustainable through increasing commercial revenue.
- Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, Sport (2017-present)