Don Tarkington is a senior trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience litigating high-profile matters and resolving disputes for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to closely held businesses.
Don has built a reputation for understanding and creatively achieving his clients’ business objectives through litigation, arbitration or settlement. He has been entrusted by clients in diverse industries to represent them as plaintiffs and defendants in multimillion-dollar matters and in disputes which threaten the existence of their business. He has successfully represented businesses and individuals in disputes concerning breach of contract, intellectual property, real estate, professional liability and closely held businesses.
Don has repeatedly been recognized as one of the top commercial litigators in Illinois by Super Lawyers Magazine and The Leading Lawyers Network. Since 2017, he has been named one of The Best Lawyers in America® by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers Magazine. The publication named Don its Real Estate Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Chicago in 2018 and again in 2023. Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among other leading lawyers in the same community and the same practice area for their ability, professionalism and integrity.
In addition, Don serves as office managing attorney for the firm's Chicago office.
Don was previously managing partner at Novack and Macey in Chicago and joined Armstrong Teasdale in 2023.
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Miner Moot Court Competition, First Place
- William Jennings Bryan and Lowden-Wigmore Prize for Excellence in Oral and Written Advocacy
- National Moot Court Competition Representative
- Indiana University (B.S., 1978)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Evanston/Skokie (Illinois) Consolidated School District 65 Board of Education (Former Member; Finance Committee, Chair; Referendum Committee, Co-chair)
- Foundation 65 (Founding Member and Past President)
- McGaw YMCA (Former member of Board of Directors)
- McGaw YMCA Children’s Center (Former Long-range Planning Committee, Chair)
- Illinois Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation (2005-present)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2004)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Litigation (2017-present); Commercial Litigation (2023); “Lawyer of the Year” for Real Estate Litigation (2018 and 2023)