John Sullivan directs national and international financial institutions through issues affecting the ever-changing financial services industry. His background in commercial litigation aids him in effectively advising on the structure and documentation of each project.
John dedicates the majority of his time assisting lenders and borrowers regarding conventional and asset-based lending transactions and regulatory matters. He negotiates and prepares documentation for all types of commercial loans and counsels on federal bank regulatory issues, commercial and consumer lending, mortgage banking, consumer credit, restructurings, refinancings and Uniform Commercial Code transactions. In the area of regulatory compliance, John interprets regulations issued by various federal and state agencies, including the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Reserve Board and state banking regulators.
The balance of John’s work involves helping clients form, buy, sell, lease, merge, finance and operate their businesses. He offers guidance to develop strategic direction, minimize operational risks and consider financial implications.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1979)
- Washington University Law Quarterly (Executive Editor, 1978-1979)
- Illinois State University (B.S., high honors, 1976)
- Missouri, 1981
- District of Columbia, 1979
- Illinois, 1990
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association (Business Law and Real Property Sections and Banking Law Committee)
- Bank Counsel Board of Missouri Bankers Association (Former Chairman)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Banking and Finance Law and Financial Services Regulation Law (10+ consecutive years, including the most recent edition); Lawyer of the Year, Banking and Finance Law (2020)
- “Top Lawyer,” Corporate Counsel Magazine (2009-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2008-present); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-present)
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Real Estate by Martindale-Hubbell and American Lawyer Media (ALM)
- Elected chair of a Bank Counsel Advisory Board for 2009-2010 by the Missouri Bankers Association Board of Directors
Prior to joining the firm, John was engaged in private practice in Washington, D.C.