Lucas Amodio is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group. The majority of his practice focuses on high-technology and computer-related matters involving patent law and cybersecurity.
A former software engineer and patent examiner, Lucas guides in-house counsel, inventors and patent examiners in applying for and protecting U.S. and foreign patent applications. In a variety of fields, he counsels through the distinctive stages of product design and development to ensure consistency. Lucas is also a Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) through the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (EC Council). This certification enhances his ability to provide guidance about security flaws and techniques to protect data.
Lucas actively participates in litigation support for disputes involving patents as well as in U.S. patent re-examination proceedings. He assists clients on patent infringement issues, preparation of non-infringement and invalidity opinions and patentability, due diligence, and patent landscape analyses. In these instances, Lucas conducts searches, evaluates the results and provides ideas on going forward or modifying designs to alleviate risk. As both a computer engineer and attorney, he deals with the issues that arise due to the increased interconnectivity and vulnerability of devices, i.e., the Internet of Things.
Lucas frequently writes on the topics of cybersecurity, hacking and the Internet of Things. He publishes content on LinkedIn and has also been featured in Law360. To view recent articles, visit his LinkedIn page. Or follow him on Twitter @DarthAttorney.
- Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington (J.D., 2013)
- Intellectual Property Association, Entertainment Law Society; Sherman Minton Moot Court; AIPLA Giles Rich Moot Court
- Indiana University School of Business (M.B.A., 2005)
- Graduate Assistant Council (President, 2004-2005)
- MBA Student Leadership Award, Certificate in Entrepreneurship (2005)
- Purdue University (M.S., 2001)
- Applied Computer Science
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (B.S., 1997)
- Computer Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association (Member, 2011-present)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Leadership Clayton (2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Ones to Watch, Intellectual Property Law, Patent Law (2022)
- Received Origins Award for Best Miniature Product from The Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design (2008)
Prior to joining the firm, Lucas was a law clerk for the Office of Unfair Import Investigation.