Matthew Brunkhorst is a litigation attorney who focuses his practice on matters related to insurance coverage, general commercial litigation, personal injury, employment and labor law, and life, health and disability disputes.
Matt is well-versed in all phases of a lawsuit, including discovery, settlement negotiations and, if need be, trial. Matt has represented businesses and individuals before a variety of tribunals, including state and federal courts, administrative agencies, and in arbitration. He goes above and beyond to learn the intricacies of a client’s needs, and then applies that knowledge and his past training and experiences to effectively advise on liability, settlement or litigation.
Matt has significant experience with insurance coverage litigation, including first party disputes, vexatious refusal claims, bad faith actions, coverage declaratory judgment suits, interpleaders, and broker liability disputes. His experience includes matters in the state and federal courts in both Missouri and Kansas. Matt also provides consultation and advice to carriers on other coverage issues as well as on matters concerning life, health and disability claims.
Matt is also a member of Armstrong Teasdale’s Litigation practice group and handles disputes, including class actions. These disputes include contractual and tort claims such as breach of contract, fraud and agent/principal liability.
Personal Injury Litigation
Matt litigates cases alleging personal or catastrophic injury, including disputes arising from premise and vicarious liability.
As a member of the Employment and Labor practice area, Matt defends employers of all sizes, from family-owned and privately held businesses to Fortune 100 companies, concerning claims brought under various employment laws. In addition, Matt counsels employers on noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements while also drafting policies and procedures for employee handbooks.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2012)
- Honors in Pro Bono/Public Service
- The Urban Lawyer (Case Note and Review Editor)
- UMKC Law Review (Senior Staff Member)
- Teaching Assistant for the UMKC Legal Research and Writing Program
- Student Extern for The Honorable Fernando J. Gaitan, Jr., United States District Judge
- University of Missouri (B.A., magna cum laude, 2009)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors in Political Science
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (Member)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce
- University of Missouri Alumni-Kansas City Chapter (Board of Directors)
- Leadership Northland Class of 2016
- John L. Oliver, Jr. Trial Academy (2015)
Prior to joining the firm, Matt was a judicial law clerk to Magistrate Judge K. Gary Sebelius of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.