Nick Bitel is known as one of the best sports lawyers in Britain today, described by the Legal 500 as “an institution in the world of sports law.” He has an impressive track record in advising some of the world's most iconic sports events and has lectured widely on sports law both in the U.K. and abroad. Nick qualified as a solicitor in 1983.
Nick’s extensive representations include The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon), UEFA and the Racehorse Owner’s Association.
He is also the chief executive of the London Marathon and in 2013 was appointed by the government as chair of Sport England. He is also currently a board member of U.K. Sport and the Wimbledon Foundation. He is the former chairman of the Sports Rights Owners Coalition, which represents over 45 of the world’s leading sports governing bodies and rights owners, and was formerly a board member of the London Legacy Development Corporation (Olympic Park) and Wembley National Stadium Trust. Nick was a founder and Chair of the British Association for Sport and Law.
Nick is named as a recognised Sports lawyer in the 2021 edition of Chambers U.K. and the 2021 edition of The Legal 500 U.K.
Nick was previously a consultant for Kerman & Co. in London and joined Armstrong Teasdale when the firms combined in early 2021. Nick was managing partner of Max Bitel Greene until it merged with Kerman & Co. in 2012 and founded its sports law department.
- Davidson College, North Carolina
- Dean Rusk Scholarship
- The University of Manchester (LL.B., 1980)
- Sport England (Chair, 2013-present)
- London Marathon (Chief Executive, 1995-present)
- Sports Rights Owners Coalition (Chair, 2011 - 2013)
- British Association for Sport and Law (Chair, 2001 – 2003)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- U.K. Sport (Board Member, 2003-2009 and 2013-2021)
- Wimbledon Foundation (Trustee, 2018-present)
- London Legacy Development Corporation (Board Member, 2010 - 2018)
- Wembley National Stadium Trust (Trustee, 2013-2017)
- Tour Players Foundation (Trustee, 2006 – 2016)
- Wigan Athletic FC (Vice-Chair, 1991 – 1995)
- Chambers U.K., Sport (2020)
- The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, Sport - London - TMT (technology, media and telecoms) (2021)