Nick Bitel is known as one of the best sports lawyers in Britain today, described by the Legal 500 as “an institution in the world of sports law.” He has an impressive track record in advising some of the world's most iconic sports events and has lectured widely on sports law both in the U.K. and abroad. Nick qualified as a solicitor in 1983.
Nick’s extensive representations include The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon), UEFA and the Racehorse Owner’s Association, and he is the chief executive of the London Marathon.
He served for eight years as the Chair of Sport England, a position appointed by the government; 12 years on the Board of Sport England; and 14 years on the board of U.K. Sport – he was the longest-ever serving Chair of Sport England and the longest-ever serving Board Member of U.K. Sport. Nick is the former chairman of the Sports Rights Owners Coalition, which represents over 45 of the world’s leading sports governing bodies and rights owners, and was formerly a board member of the London Legacy Development Corporation (Olympic Park) and Wembley National Stadium Trust. Nick was a founder and Chair of the British Association for Sport and Law.
Nick is named as a recognised Sports lawyer in the 2021 edition of Chambers U.K. and The Legal 500 U.K.
In 2021 the Government appointed him as the Chair of the Driver Vehicle Standards Authority in the U.K., the authority responsible for driving tests, Ministry of Transport (MOT) tests, driving instructor approvals and more.
*Nick Bitel is an independent contractor with Armstrong Teasdale.
Services and Industries
Nick was previously a consultant for Kerman & Co. in London and joined Armstrong Teasdale when the firms combined in early 2021. Nick was managing partner of Max Bitel Greene until it merged with Kerman & Co. in 2012 and founded its sports law department.
- Davidson College, North Carolina
- Dean Rusk Scholarship
- The University of Manchester (LL.B., 1980)
- Driver Vehicle Standards Agency (Chair, 2021 – present)
- Sport England (Chair, 2013-2021; Board Member, 2009-2021)
- London Marathon (Chief Executive, 1995-present)
- Sports Rights Owners Coalition (Chair, 2011 - 2013)
- British Association for Sport and Law (Chair, 2001 – 2003)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- U.K. Sport (Board Member, 2003-2009 and 2013-2021)
- Wimbledon Foundation (Trustee, 2018-present)
- London Legacy Development Corporation (Board Member, 2010 - 2018)
- Wembley National Stadium Trust (Trustee, 2013-2017)
- Tour Players Foundation (Trustee, 2006 – 2016)
- Wigan Athletic FC (Vice-Chair, 1991 – 1995)
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom®, Sports Law (2009-present)
- Chambers U.K., Sport (2020)
- The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, Sport - London - TMT (technology, media and telecoms) (2021-present); Hall of Fame (2022)