Patrick Kenny is a trial attorney with significant experience in bad faith and insurance coverage disputes, ERISA litigation (pension and benefits), subrogation, disputes over business transactions, noncompete agreements, class actions and fraud litigation. He has tried jury cases to verdict in Missouri and Illinois, handled and supervised numerous appeals, and served as a neutral in scores of cases.
Patrick was named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Insurance Law “Lawyer of the Year” in St. Louis and has received numerous other recognitions in connection with his insurance and commercial litigation practices. Those include long term listings in Best Lawyers® for Insurance Law, as a Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Martindale-Hubbell and American Lawyer Media (ALM), and as a “Super Lawyer” by Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers / Super Lawyers Business Edition.
In addition to his substantial insurance practice Patrick chairs the firm’s Class Action Practice Group and co-chairs the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Patrick also serves numerous leadership roles in professional organizations focused on insurance law and commercial litigation. He long has been active with Lex Mundi, an international law group, and currently serves as the Chair of its Insurance / Reinsurance Practice Group. He also serves as the Editor-in-Chief of Daubert Online published by DRI, served for many years on the Steering Committee for DRI’s Commercial Litigation Committee, and has served in many other positions for the Commercial Litigation Committee and the Life, Health and Disability Committee of DRI.
Patrick frequently presents in trainings and seminars, both public and private (in-house), on commercial and insurance matters.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Missouri Law Review (Member)
- Business Law Teaching Assistant (1988-1989)
- University of Missouri (B.S.B.A., 1987)
- Chemistry and Operations
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Board of Veterans Claims
- Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, CLM (Member, 2013-present)
- Defense Research Institute (Editor-in-Chief, Daubert Online, 2006-present; Steering Committee - Commercial Litigation Committee, 2003-2013; Expert Witness Chair, 2003-2013; Steering Committee - Life, Health and Disability Committee; Expert Witness Chair, 2016-2018; Panel Counsel Vice Chair, 2012-2013)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (Member, 2002-present; Speaker, 2003 Annual Meeting)
- Lex Mundi (Chair, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee, 2013-present; Regional Vice Chair, 2012-2013)
- The Missouri Bar (Panel Member, Complaint Resolution Program, inception-present)
- Alpha Chi Sigma Chemistry Fraternity, St. Louis Professional Chapter (Member, inception to present; Treasurer, 2004-present)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (Associate Member, 2006-2011; St. Louis Chapter, Director, 2007-2011)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (Chair, Pro Bono Committee, 2012; Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee, 2013; Co-Chair, Bench and Bar Relations Committee, 2000-2002)
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity (Vice-Magister, 1989-1990)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Academy of the Sacred Heart (Board of Trustees, 2008-2015; Parents Coordinating Council—Board Member, 2003-2008; President, 2007-2008)
- St. Louis Hearing and Speech Center (Board Member, 1996-2004, 2006-2011, 2013-present; President, 2002,2003, 2011; Vice President, 2001)
- Small Claims Mediation Program (Founder)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Insurance Law (more than 10+ consecutive years, including the latest edition); “Lawyer of the Year” - Insurance Law (2016)
- Multi-year listing as Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Martindale-Hubbell and American Lawyer Media (ALM)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (multi-year); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition
- Lex Mundi Insurance/Reinsurance Practice Group, Chair (2013-present), Regional Vice Chair (2012)
- In 2004, Patrick was asked by the Defense Research Institute (DRI) to serve as the Editor-in-Chief to its new Daubert Online newsletter, which DRI is publishing nationwide
- “40 Under 40 Award,” St. Louis Business Journal (2003)
Before joining the firm, Patrick served as a judicial clerk for Judge Pasco Bowman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
When not practicing law, Patrick serves on the boards of various non-for-profit and charitable entities. He enjoys running, duplicate bridge, chess and travel.