Rick Engel is a member of the firm's Financial and Real Estate Services practice group, and serves as the chair of the Bankruptcy and Debtor/Creditor Relations subgroup, which handles bankruptcy, reorganization and restructuring matters. In his practice, he has represented the interests of local, regional, national and international corporations and financial institutions in all aspects of corporate and financial counseling. His integrated skill set combines advantageously complementary disciplines, including:
Financial Structuring, Restructuring and Bankruptcy
Rick represents the interests of corporate borrowers, debtors, trade creditors and financial institutions in all aspects of debtor/creditor relations. Representations include negotiating and documenting capital and debt structures, loan workouts and asset acquisitions and divestitures. In addition, he has represented both corporate debtors and creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy proceedings, including lead counsel representation of debtors in possession, lenders and creditors’ committees. Rick has represented debtors, significant creditors, committees and indenture trustees in some of the largest bankruptcy proceedings and corporate restructurings in the country.
Corporate and Merger and Acquisition Counseling
Rick represents the interests of several corporations on virtually all aspects of their corporate existence, in many cases serving as outside general counsel or counsel to the general counsel. He represented the interests of companies both acquiring and selling hundreds of millions of dollars of assets and businesses throughout the country, both inside and outside bankruptcy proceedings.
Rick serves as the outside general counsel to one of the largest Great Clips franchisees in the U.S. In that role he reviews and handles all aspects of representation of the company, including franchise agreement issues, employment, landlord tenant and other contractual and legal issues.
Finally, Rick serves as outside general counsel to law firms and partners within law firms. He is often requested by law firms and individual partners to provide counsel regarding governance issues and fiduciary duties.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D.)
- Saint Louis University (B.S.B.A.)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Missouri Bar (Former Executive Committee Member - YLS)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2020)
- “Sec. 363 Sale of the Year” in the $250-500 million category, 11th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards (2017)
- Selected as a 2012 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Martindale-Hubbell and American Lawyer Media (ALM)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2010-present); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-2014)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell