Robert Bell is a competition and regulatory consultant in the firm’s Corporate department with over 30 years’ experience advising clients on complex competition and regulatory matters in both London and Brussels.
He has been involved in some of the leading cases before the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), the European Commission and the U.K. Courts.
He advises clients on a wide range of competition law issues including cartels; competition investigations before competition regulators like the CMA, Office of Communications (OFCOM), Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the EU Commission; and competition counselling and compliance. He has also advised clients on competition follow-on damages and collective proceedings in the English courts.
He advises clients on U.K., EU and international merger control and makes necessary filings to assist clients in fulfilling their strategic acquisition strategies. To this end he also counsels clients on the application of the National Security and Investment Act 2021 and other FDI regimes to their deals.
He has extensive experience of advising private-sector suppliers on the application of public procurement law to safeguard their rights in the tender process.
Robert has a sector focus in advising international technology companies and others on the application of competition law to e-commerce and digital platforms. He also has in-depth knowledge of the manufacturing and pharma sectors.
He also advises on a range of other regulatory issues including international trade and customs, economic sanctions, and subsidy regulation. With the growth of cryptocurrency and crypto assets, Robert has advised companies on financial regulation and FCA registration and authorisation applications.
Robert is recognised as one of London’s leading lawyers by Chambers and Legal 500.
Quotations from Legal 500 and Chambers:
Legal 500 2018/19 states: "Robert Bell is recommended as being very responsive and providing practical solutions"
Chambers 2015/16 comments: "Robert Bell is valued by interviewees for the strength of his advice. According to one commentator, ‘he has such deep expertise in the area, and one can trust his advice completely.’ Bell's experience includes handling complex merger transactions arising in the technology industry."
*Robert Bell serves Armstrong Teasdale Ltd. as a non-exclusive consultant and independent contractor. He is not an employee or partner of the firm, and may serve in a similar role to other third parties, including law firms.
Services and Industries
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Robert served as partner and head of competition, regulatory and trade practice departments at a number of firms in London and Brussels.
- University College London, University of London (LL.M., 1989)
- Competition and Corporate Law
- Inns of Court School of Law (1982)
- Barrister, Law
- Inner Temple Students Association (President)
- University of Nottingham (B.A., 1981)
- Law, History
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 1989
- Republic of Ireland, 2016
- England and Wales, 1982
- Law Society England & Wales (Member)
- City of London Law Society (Member, former Chair, Competition Law Committee)
- Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London (Master)
- City of London Law Society (President)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Governor Peppard Church of England Primary School
- Green Gym -environmental charity
- JD Supra, Top Author, Antitrust & Trade Regulation (2018-2019)
- The Legal 500 U.K., Recommended Lawyer, England & Wales (2018-19)
- Chambers U.K., England and Wales, Europe (2015-16)