Cody Barela works closely with companies of all sizes at all stages of growth on a diverse set of technology-related transactions.
Cody helps clients in the technology, internet, telecommunications, manufacturing, professional services, consulting, aerospace and medical fields develop and implement commercial contracting strategies to optimize efficiencies and reduce their legal costs.
Cody’s experience includes advising on software and hardware; on-premises, cloud and hosted solutions; SaaS, IaaS, PaaS and other software and services licensing models; and related software development, joint venture, reseller, distributor, procurement, consulting/development and outsourcing commercial contracts, as well as telecommunications-related colocation, dark fiber, IRUs and MDU contracts.
With a strong technology and engineering background, and experience working internally for companies, Cody is able to help clients develop successful contracting strategies to address data security risks related to proprietary information or personally identifiable information, particularly in cloud-based models. Cody also advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, corporate operations and general business matters including entity formation, structure and governance. He also provides guidance on intellectual property matters, including copyright, trademark and infringement issues.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Cody was a member in the Denver office of a national law firm.
Before attending law school, Cody was a mechanical design engineer at Lockheed Martin, where he designed mechanical systems and prepared government contracts.
- University of Denver (J.D., 2010)
- Boston University (B.S., 2005)
- Manufacturing Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association (Former Board Member)
- Denver Urban Debate League (Board Member)
- Law School Si Se Puede (Mentor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Adams and Broomfield Counties (Board Member)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Ones to Watch, Communications Law (2021-2022); Technology Law (2022)
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2019-2020)