Original works of authorship that are eligible for copyright protection extend far beyond artistic creations such as art, literature, music and film. An individual or company’s original and creative works are more than just artistic expressions: They are valuable assets in today’s global marketplace.
Protecting the copyrighted works you create, knowing when and how to use or seek permission for use of third-party copyrighted works, and dealing with enforcement actions are now a part of almost every business’s activities. With the explosion of information access through digital technology and the internet, copyrightable works are increasingly vulnerable to misuse and theft.
Attorneys in Armstrong Teasdale’s Copyright practice area regularly advise companies on the comprehensive global management and protection of their copyright portfolio, including:
- Advising on whether copyright exists in a work
- Registration of copyrights in the United States with the U.S. Copyright Office
- Counseling clients on proper copyright usage and when to seek and give permissions for use
- Licensure and assignment of copyrights
- Enforcing copyright online and elsewhere, including federal litigation, Digital Millennium Copyright Act demands, takedown complaints for online infringement and more
We also advise clients on obtaining and registering copyrights (where required in the applicable jurisdiction), negotiating licenses and use of third-party works.
Our team works closely with lawyers across the firm, including those in patent, trademark, international and litigation areas, to ensure that clients’ rights are broadly protected and enforced worldwide. Our intellectual property litigators have significant experience in successfully addressing misuse of copyrighted materials, from Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notices to enforcing our clients’ copyrights in court.
We regularly assist clients, from health care providers to comic book publishers, from fashion designers to internet service providers, on copyright issues in a wide range of media and industries, including:
- Creative works, such as art, music, film and literature
- Software programs and applications
- Design elements related to fashion and other consumer packaged goods
- The unique expression in instructional guides and training program materials
- Unique website content and layout